• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rifle will not fire?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The lesson in this, for me and for everyone is: When buying a used percussion rifle, ask the seller to remove the nipple for you.
I wish I had done it.

I've read that Pyrodex pellets only have the BP on one end, to ignite more easily, then light Pyrodex.
Might you have gotten them in upside down?
It's irrelevant to your current problem, but could be important if you decide to use up what you have - or can't get BP readily.
Good question, I will check the box again to be sure when I am back in town

Then the nipple has to come out, it’s already starting to round due to the wrong tool being used, this is the OP’s original picture that I blew up to a larger size. Soak it, then try again, but try and not round the ears off. If it won’t come out, then it’s time to search for a gunsmith.
The right tool was used for sure, but this thing is absolutely stuck even after soaking.

Just a follow-up for the folks on here. I received my ball puller and pulled my load out of the barrell. I put it back in to be sure and pulled out another... Thank goodness the powder was old and no good. The air passes through as expected now and the gun fires perfectly. I will eventually have to face the Battle of pulling the nipple off but in the meantime everything seems to be in working order. I appreciate everyone's help.
20210204_155737.jpg

Good job. I’m sure your relieved. I can’t help with the nipple except to say soaking it for DAYS has to be your first ploy. When that nipple starts to round off, another headache will emerge. Good job man, and let us know how it goes.

Yeah
Good job. I’m sure your relieved. I can’t help with the nipple except to say soaking it for DAYS has to be your first ploy. When that nipple starts to round off, another headache will emerge. Good job man, and let us know how it goes.
Yeah, it has soaked all week and still will not budget, I found a good Gunsmith locally that will help me cheap when I need it off bad enough.

Put the barrel in a vice with protection. Use a propane torch to heat area around nipple and use a good nipple wrench.

OK....try this, may/ be a Biotch as used gun but if you can remove the "clean out screw" (many here will advise against ever removing, mine come out every cleaning). This may be the issue with the nipple, the clean out screw could have been replaced with one too long and it could be tight up against the nipple threads.

Keep us posted!

The nipple still isn't coming out but I've got clean fire right on target. I'm going to use this bad boy as is, keep it cleaned and when I need to remove that nipple it will go to my buddy who is a gunsmith and he will get it out for 25 bucks.

See Kaboom here... Lol
20210205_170335.jpg

Before you put any oil or anything in or around the nipple, get a hold of some real Black powder and push as many grains as you can down the nipple with a wire or paperclip etc. Basically prime the nipple. I have done this many times without removing the nipple. Then would find some real black powder and ditch the pellets.
Crushing those pellets make for some fantastic shooting I have found.

since that rust that burns, sort of, perhaps priming the nipple with FFFFg real Black Gunpowder, which is what the gun was made for and perhaps you might get it to go BANG.
If it goes BANG clean it immediately with lots of warm water every day for three or four days. After which use a good gun oil in the barrel to protect it.
Then throw those **** (word deleted) pellets in the trash and get some Honest To God Real Black Gunpowder.
I am baffled about this love affair with That "P" stuff. Poison also starts with a P.
Bunk
Black powder is impossible to find so far. I crush the pellets into a powder.

Problem with things being clogged is you don’t know what is in there. Could be a load left by the previous owner. That means you are down to pushing (grease gun) or pulling. I found photographs of my Sabot bullet puller. It has a collar that will center the threaded piece into the center of bullet. If plastic tipped, it will sometimes pull the plastic tip out first and requires a second go. If the sabot doesn’t come out with the bullet it takes a third attempt without the collar to catch the plastic. I only used it at the range to help others, but it does work. Using standard puller first can mess up the pistol bullet to the point where it is very difficult to pull no matter what you use.View attachment 61116 View attachment 61117Look
This is exactly what I purchased and it helped me get the barrel empty and now the rifle works. See my recent post in this thread

Pyrodex was the first substitute,to my knowledge. It will store a long time.
It has a little more power than Black powder on average to my experience.
The reason so many people use it is availability and reliability. Cabelas and
many smaller places stock it. Because of regulations few places carry real Black Powder.
I bought a bunch of that cheap Black MZ from Sportsman's W. and I really
like it. Too bad it is not produced anymore. Shoots way cleaner than Black
powder or pyrodex, cleans fast and easy. I paid only 10 bucks a pound and
wish I bought 20 pounds.

real black is regulated as a low yeild explosive anyone selling it needs an explosives license

anyone storing it not for personal use needs a powder magazine

there is a Federal exception for up to 50 pounds of personal possession of black powder for use in sporting , recreation or cultural practices.

Pyrodex is a little harder to get lit than real black so it falls into extremely flammable just over the Regulatory line from low yield explosive

as an extremely flammable propellant and not a low yield explosive your up to 50 pounds should basically be stored identically.
cool dry place away from heat , flame , spark .
neither should be stored in tightly enclosed containers other than the one it came in.
as in don't put either in a ammo can , it becomes a bomb should your house burn down , if the plastic bottles are involved in a house fire they don't send shrapnel out.
it's a big flash of it burning but black not contained is like a giant flash from an old time camera when it burns , you know the flash pan 1800s type of flash.

however the stores don't need a license and a special magazine to store pyrodex that is only extremely flammable.

people make the argument that pyrodex or 777 have less fouling , I make the argument that fouling doesn't matter very much as the instructions on the can of 777 say to ensure no embers remain in the barrel. you do that by running a moistened patch which also wipes the fouling.

many places online sell black and it can ship to your house , the hazmat isn't even that bad if you get several pounds.

this is the guy I use for powder Product

he has good prices on Schutzen powders and it works fine for me .
if you get a group of friends together for a powder purchase , make sure all moneys are collected before the order is placed , this way you are not engaging in the selling of powder , just receiving the order.

Back