• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rifle sock or sleeve

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a 1853 3-band enfield and a flintlock pennsylvania rifle. Does anyone have suggestions on sock or sleeve for each? I see Midway has a sleeve with fringes that's leather. Anything else? Just to go to range and back. Need something that can handle at the most 58 inches. Thanks.

I have a 1853 3-band enfield and a flintlock pennsylvania rifle. Does anyone have suggestions on sock or sleeve for each? I see Midway has a sleeve with fringes that's leather. Anything else? Just to go to range and back. Need something that can handle at the most 58 inches. Thanks.
20220116_205830.jpg
Pretty sure these guys make a "musket length" sock. Supposedly rust inhibiting too.

I cut mine from a blanket. Fold it and sew. I cut fringes on the end so when I put the gun in, I fold the end over and tie with a couple fringes. After awhile the fringes start to tear off. I may have to sew a cord/string in it for tying in the near future. I guess you could get decorative if you want. I just left mine plain.
03ACF0E4-B472-4615-B35A-2A8ABE16D1CE.jpeg

Sock vs sleeve...how about a scabbard?
They look better and offer more protection. They are more pricey, but you can also make one yourself...I find with leatherworking though, that you never save money when you do it yourself...it comes out even once you add the cost of materials to the time spent in terms of your pay rate...but the added benefit is that you will obtain and practice a skill that you would not have had otherwise,...that has always made it worth it to me, and I have just always made all my own leather items...another benefit is that you can fashion the exact design you envision, vs shopping around for one that looks as you imagine it should.

All you really need is some quality 9 oz+ or higher leather, a set of mallet operated punches, some large sheets of stiff parchment, and dental floss, artificial sinew, and/or rawhide cord...if you intend to have a fringed scabbard, you can save on holes and threading by cutting the fringes long, wetting them to expand the leather, and tying them together tightly to stitch up the top and bottom sides, snipping the top ones off at the knot... (as the leather dries, it shrinks back, and makes the knots incredibly solid) you then only have to stitch any side compartments, straps, or buckles you wish to attach...

Back