• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rifle Sleeve- period correct advice

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Kopp

40 Cal
Reaction score
I see that most rifle sleeves are made from deer hide, however I am wondering if cloth was a more traditional and easier method to make rifle sleeves. I am looking for start a new project for a sleeve in a traditionally 18th century style, but looking to avoid deer hide if possible.. Does anyone have any ideas, picture or fabric pattern recommendations for the sleeve for a 1750's flintlock?

Trade blankets were commonly used to make containers and pouches and bags and all kinds of useful items. Pure wool contains natural lanolin which is moisture repellent and rust resistant.

Lay your rifle on the fabric and fold it over enough to cover it. Use pins or toothpicks to shape the contour of your weapon. Then patiently sew together.

I don’t know if there is an actual 18th century “style” unless you’re considering decorating it

here is my current project. be sure whatever material you use you add enough for fringe on both sides after wrapping the rifle and creating the sleeve.
i still need to stain the buckskin fringe to match and add decorations and a closure strap or something . this is Elk hid just because i had it laying around. it houses a Pedersoli Mortimer flintlock.
also add length for a closure flap. 20210630_215203.jpg
20210630_215203.jpg
20210630_215203.jpg20210630_205245.jpg
ready and waiting! her hunting days are over.

Last edited:
I like your elk hide gun sleeve. That old sweetie layin long side is a great lookin friend. My old golden left me a bunch of years ago and I still miss him. He was 19 years old when he went to a peacefull sleep laying under my bench vice in the shop. I love him yet!

Srry just an old man reminiscing.

Always wondered why the fringe. My deer skin sleeve has long fringe and honestly it is in the way more than anything. Always gonna cut em off but have not yet.

Also, I believe that the longer fringe pieces came in handy for sewing up a torn garment when afield.

Personally I think fringe was just style. Was none to popular in the east, pretty absent in the south west.
We see it in early near east on Chaldean kings and Phoenician traders and popular on ladies fashion in Victorian age.
In Millers paintings we see it at some seams but it explodes in the later west, sewn on even where there was no seam. And it hides the Fancy Dancer
All the wicking water away and handy wangs I THINK are after the fact explanations

Back