• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Rifle Shoppe Hall carbine

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've always wanted a repro 1843 Hall carbine kit from Rifle Shoppe. They are just up the road from me and I've been raising funds to irder one, but I am wondering how much of a challenge it would be to build one. Anyone have experience building a Hall or know someone who has?

My TRS 1740 build was very very tedious, I can imagine something like a Hall rifle would be even more tedious, but worth it in the end. Have you built many guns before?

Monkey

If you haven't built any guns in the best part of 40 years then I'd buy the parts kit and send it to someone like Kashtuk Bowcraft or another builder because the Hall Rifle is a breechloader. And unlike muzzleloaders, breechloaders require proper headspacing and it could be very dangerous for an inexperienced builder to make.

I can’t say that I know the rifle but if you buy the kit with the assembled breech block you will be in a much better position to complete it successfully. I’m building a TRS Baker Rifle and although it seemed very daunting (I’d never previously built or had any experience with flintlocks) I’m almost done and I think that I’ve done a pretty decent job despite my misgivings. Although I’d ordered the completed lock they sent me the lock parts kit in error and I’ve even managed to build that as well, untested on the rifle as yet but it seems to be working and sparking as it should.

I’ve always wanted to assemble this kit and have done a lot or research with other’s who have built it. I found someone with an original that was willing to share pictures and measurements, this helps. The receiver if they’re willing to assemble it helps a lout. My judgment tells me it’s not the easiest kit to work on. The alignment of the receiver, lock to the breech area seems like it can be tricky. One thing we i had realized later on was that some gasses escaping the breech area is considered normal for this type of rifle, the areas’s around the breech that open are considered gas vents for this purpose.

It’s probably one of the more unusual flintlock breech loaders.

After much debate with this kit my decision rested between a Hall Kit and Ferguson kit, my main concern was the stock breech area on a Ferguson is generally pretty weak. However this can be remedied with structural epoxies and thin steel sleeves.

There’s also doesn’t seem to be a whole lot of experience builders with Hall kits, a i found a few folks that have made the rifle and they all pretty much said avoid it and buy an original.

i had decided to save up for a Ferguson build, they’re much nicer looking and the design seems to be more simplified. Hall Rifles do assembled correctly are great efficient rifles, but i think in the long run a Ferguson is the better choice, if i had ever wanted to part ways with it.

The Hall was made before headspacing was thought of and as it uses a consumable paper cartridge the issue doesn’t arise
Not quite ... you are right that it technically it isn't headspace. However, there is a GAP much like the cylinder to forcing cone 'gap' on a revolver and on a tight Hall it is about 0.003" clearance, just enough to grab ahold of a piece of paper slipped between the breechblock and barrel.

That distance is set by the placement and fitting of the 'boats', that they call it, that are the 2 pieces, one on each side, that the breechblock cams over. Too much of a 'gap' and you WILL get a sheet of flame at the breech ... as this photo clearly indicates.

To me, any TRS kit is not for the feint of heart or inexperienced, as I for sure would only try a Hall if they built the action, but even then, there are reports around that their build quality is not what it once was, which if true ... is too bad.

1688998928433.png

Thanks fellas for your answers. Fort Gibson historic site here in Oklahoma has one that I can use for living history programs there. Sounds like I might be just as well off to save my pennies and get an original one day. I appreciate everyone's insight.

I agree on buying an original. They are not as expensive as you might think. You will get a much better rifle. Unless TRS has what you want ready to ship forget it.

I assembled one of their Bakers. IT was not up to my expectations. IT took forever. The build was one problem after another. Building from scratch is much easier, and the finished product is better too. I have a second Baker partially done. I can not motivate myself to work on it. The first one left a very bad taste in my mouth.

Last edited:
I wanted a Hall. Until I got to shoot one. Take a GOOD look at Flint62smoothie’s photo. There was one on display in the Missouri capital, the whole side of the stock was blown out.

Back