• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Rifle Shoppe Hackenbusche

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My contribution to our recent set of hand gonne posts.

image_50394113.JPG

My hand gonne is mostly complete, I just need to refinish the metal at a future point.

This was my first time building anything since my eagle project over a decade ago, and my first time working with metal, so the process was... interesting...
Important lessons:
1. If you have no idea what you are doing, do not get a Rifle Shoppe kit.
2. If you have no idea what you are doing, do make something made by peasants 600 years ago.

I had to file/grind down the spike into shape to fit in the stock/tiller, narrow and round the barrel bands, shape the front of the stock, and widen and deepen the groves for the barrel in the stock.

The stock was treated with boiled linseed oil because it is close to historical, while also manageable. An adventure in rust removal lead to some accidental chemical aging and then sanding, which is why the metal needs to be refinished.

My sophisticated work station with the parts:

image_50405889.JPG

Using C clamps, because I had no vice, is a shortcut that I am definitely going to avoid in the future.

Bonus pic: A hand cannon and a hand cannon. I do not have a 15th century kettle hat or sallet, but I do have their (very distant) direct descendent: the East German M56 Stahlhelm
image_50379521.JPG

I think John, that in discussing these with Michael, I Think he said the hook was attached to the barrel.
Nevertheless, it's a grand looking early gun!
any flat smooth areas of the stock may profit with a going over with a sharp
drawknife, as most originals are somewhat faceted, as you know.
I am always so pleased when you share from Michael's posts!

best,
Richard.

I think John, that in discussing these with Michael, I Think he said the hook was attached to the barrel.
Nevertheless, it's a grand looking early gun!
any flat smooth areas of the stock may profit with a going over with a sharp
drawknife, as most originals are somewhat faceted, as you know.
I am always so pleased when you share from Michael's posts!

best,
Richard.
Thanks Pukka!
A draw knife is on my tool list for when I move on to bigger and better projects.

For the hook attached to the barrel vs stock, one book I read mentioned attaching through the stock, which was the more manageable option. Not sure how well it would hold up in battle though.

I’ve been trying to research very early arquebuses for my next project, so of course 99% of all the information I can find are from his posts haha.

John,
Yes you have the right source at hand!
I Think, normally mounted through the stock but attached to barrel. But you are not likely defending a castle and have ramparts to hook it over anyway!
It looks very much the part!

They didn't go out of style for a while, John!
LOL!

Henry V111's "Holy Water sprinkler " comes to mind!
I looked it up and that may be one of the craziest weapons I’ve seen.
F723C9C9-B5F1-42D7-A59E-5E6FAE1E3F7B.jpeg

It may beat my favorite absurd combination weapon:
3463D94C-0F74-4E86-A656-D8F44E1C8F41.jpeg

The wheel lock gun hammer horseman’s pick… thing…

Now combination weapons might be a fun thread…

"I don't know what we are going to buy Edmund for Christmas this year,...he has Everything he needs."
"...I know, let's get him a new war pick, with, with a wheelock pistol built in! He Will be pleased!".
"....He can try it out on a few peasants after dinner!......it'll make his day!"

"I don't know what we are going to buy Edmund for Christmas this year,...he has Everything he needs."
"...I know, let's get him a new war pick, with, with a wheelock pistol built in! He Will be pleased!".
"....He can try it out on a few peasants after dinner!......it'll make his day!"
After reading up and watching some videos on tournament culture around 1500, the amount of truth to that is kind of disturbing haha. It’s only a couple steps past buying a kid a set of plate armor and a longsword for their birthday.

Back