• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Rifle search help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kylecdennis

32 Cal
Reaction score
My mother bought me a percussion ML from either Cabelas or Bass Pro In 1993 or 1994. While off at graduate school the gun was stolen from her house. It’s been so long I can’t even remember what the gun was. After thinking about it and doing a little search I want to say it was a CVA Frontier. Do you guys think this gun was sold at Bass Pro or Cabelas In 93 or 94? I was young and dumb and just really didn’t value things back then and now that I am older and have interest in MLing I would like to find a gun of that model. Sorry so vague and I know it’s a long shot but any help is greatly appreciated. I remember it was cheap maybe a little over 100 bucks seems like it was made in Spain and pretty rifle. Thanks guys

Could be. I bought two of them (Frontier Carbine) back in 91 from either Cabelas or Bass Pros, I don't remember which. More than likely Bass pros and if I remember right it was right at $100. I liked it so much I bought another for a guy that was retiring from the AF. He really liked it. He actually teared up when we gave it to him. I wish I kept mine, great little shooter. It was a little on the small side. 24" barrel but shot both conicals and RBs real good.

Cabelas and Bass Pro sold ML's from a lot of manufacturers...but without any more info, that's really going to be a tough one, to find the actual one your mom got for you. You may have to search through online photos of ML's until you find one that looks pretty close to what you remember.

Thank you both for replying. Mooman76 I remember the rifle being on the shot side as well. ML 48 that is kind of what I have done is searched for photos and that’s how I decided that I think it was a CVA Frontier Carbine. Again thank you both

Did you write down the serial number? My CVA Frontier was a kit and is numbered 299 in .50 caliber. I THINK that I bought it a Cabelas in the 1992-1995 period. I have all the booklets, but unfortunately not the actual sales receipt. I used it for muzzle loading hunting for a bunch of years until I got too old to climb the local mountain. It is a good, lightweight muzzleloader with excellent sights for training young shooters ..... here is our 8 year old grand-daughter getting ready for her first taste of black powder several years ago.
Screen Shot 2021-07-24 at 11.32.06 AM.png

OLUT, Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I did not write down any serial numbers. Great picture. I know it was not a kit though. The more responses I get the more I am going with my instincts with the Frontier. Thanks

CVA had several models back then. Frontier, Bobcat, Mountain Stalker.
From what I've read, they are pretty much all the same gun but with a few changes; barrel length, rate of twist, etc.
Cabela's and Bass Pro also sold rifles by Investarm. I think they still do.
Not sure about the time period in question though.

I bought both the Frontier carbine and rifle kits some time in the '70's. one was from Midsouth and the other from Bowhunters Discount Warehouse. So I'm sure Cabelas, Bass Pro, Gander Mountain, Dixie and about everybody else sold them too.

yes, CVA imported them with their name one them. At first, the early ones, didn't even have their name. The only ones I know of were the Mountain rifles that had barrels made here, the rest made in Spain and some had the barrels made in Spain also.

I have picked up a few CVA Frontiers over the years, most having left to be ‘first’ muzzleloaders for nephews and nieces. Here is an unfired one made in 1988 that resides in the back of the safe.
1627159680841.jpeg
1627159708327.jpeg

Sure sounding like it was a Frontier indeed however it seems like I remember the sight being a fixed non adjustable sight. I am not for certain on that feature. Thank you everyone who has replied. Beautiful gun SDSmlf.

Some of the older CVAs had fixed sights. I know the 1980 or so vintage two piece stock Kentucky did, because I still have one. The sights on the one I posted a photograph of are CVA factory adjustable, and quite honestly, a POS. Actually have a fixed rear replacement sight for it, but would likely only install it if I were to set up the gun for a kid.

Ok so where can I find one of these Frontiers to buy? Thanks everyone for the replies you have all helped me a lot .

Back