• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

rifle name

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All guns are therapy guns have you ever thought I gotta go shoot the h!!! out of some targets, I always feel better when on the trip home from the range. Great stress reliever.

It's pretty common for people to name objects that they have a strong feeling about. I've named several of my cars.

Pat McManus, that writer of great humorous stories tells us about him and Retch Sweeny naming their first car in the book, "Never Sniff A Gift Fish".

They named their doorless, floorless, "mountain car", Mrs. Peabody, after their high school English Teacher.
It did cause some raised eyebrows when the told the mechanic at the local gas station, "Mrs. Peabody is having serious trouble with her exhaust and I think something is wrong with her rear end." 🤣

My wife picked up a couple of Betas, the fighting fish.
We had two little aquariums for them. Set close together so that could see each other and display with out ever having to go to it.
One was dark blue the other a reddish purple. So we called them Left and Right.

I don't name guns. I name my dogs. HOWEVER! I just had to call my smoothbore "Ol' Loudmouf" due to...well, you know. And it fits. First and last time, promise.

I don't generally name my guns, but Brian Anderson made me a Brescian style wheellock that is so elegant I felt I had to. She is La Donnina (con la Voce Forte). That is, "The Little Woman (with the Loud Voice).

My family, being Scotch/German, rural and southern, never call any member of the family or close friends by their given names. We do give the occasional inanimate object a nickname, usually along the lines of “Ole ____”. Never anything overthought or too clever by half....

Last edited:
I have an Allen Martin Lehigh, that during the building process acquired the name “The Busty Brunette”. The name remains! She’s a real dark haired beauty!

Very curious post but I see no sensible objection to naming guns I have a flint rifle that was derisively called a "Pebble gun" by the man who now owns Henry Krank ( a large Gun shop in Pudsey UK ) So my recordings of its performance refer to it as ' Pebble gun' .Another mid 17 th c flint rifle 'after ' Felix Werder of Zurich . I record as' Felix.'. And A Scots snaphance 45 cal rifle, The accounts list under 'Snapis 'a period term for such guns. And my mid 18th 50 cal flint rifle I've lugged about for years simply lists as' Light 50' it being just five pounds weight . If most simply list under the makers name .
Colonel Hawker early 19th C writer on shooting had his names ' Old Joe' for a Joe Manton,' Big Joe 'a duck gun &' Bloody Burnet ' a cripple stopper but names he gave them . I expect gun owners down the years have named their guns just like swords had names in ancient times . And steam traction engines in more recent times which reminds me of one occasion I was working with Paddy Griffith a 90year old nephew of Ned Kelly the famous Bushranger ( Though I never brought it up ) .He had a Ruston or a Ransomes Engine and one day we had it in steam he called it" Emma " I remarked " You call it 'Emma' then ?" He replied "' Bostod' is what I useally call it ".!
Rudyard

Back