• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

rifle name

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mtbugle

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Hi all;
I am new to this forum and generally am a reader rather than a poster much. I just got my first buck in 20 years with my GPR flint 54. So I believe tradition dictates the GPR be named when it first kills. I had painted the sights this year as was having problems focusing much past 50 yards well. As the wife didn't have white nail polish I went with a bright pink. With lip colored sights it seemed fitting to call her "Kiss of death". Kisser for short. What is consensus her on naming guns, or this ones name?
Thanks for your consideration.
Don

I don't name mine either. I just let them have the dignity of being called what they are. I guess one can attach any feelgood emotion he wants to his gun.

I don't name my guns or cars, many do. Maybe if I was alone in the woods long enough with my rifle I'd give it a name.

Just don't use "Kiss of Death" in a defensive shooting. :p Juries don't like such names.

I have flirted with naming my firearms over the years but never have. My dad has nicknames for every vehicle he's ever owned, usually something silly.

The 1975 Pontiac was the "Pon-on-Ton." The Honda was the "Hon-Do-It." The Subaru was the "Stupid-Ru" or "Silly-Ru" depending on the day.

His Troy lawnmower is "Big Red." Massey tractors are "Massey #1 or #2." The orange lawnmower is the "Orange Blossom." What else?

"Green Machines # 1 and #2" for the two Craftsman riding mowers.

I named my red push mower "Little Red" and my black push mower "Little Blacky" (after the pony in "True Grit.")

Oh wait! Dad named his beside .38 "Morgue."

I typically refer to my carry weapons by caliber or the first name of the company founder. My friends aren't "Smith and Wesson" but "Horace and Daniel." They are two very good friends that have backed me up every time I needed them.

I named my TN rifle The General. That was the nickname of high-school history teacher, who was a big BP shooter and re-enactor. Every year in the 11th grade history class, the students had to make something from the colonial-to-fur trade era. Lots of guys did CVA kits. We actually had to bring them to school to turn them in, and if you built a gun, it had to fire successfully to get a passing grade. I did a stone war club and a Bowie knife instead of a rifle, but I never forgot hiw fun that class was.

Some of the USMC rifle team members have names for their rifles. I was shooting with a young female Marine at Camp Perry who abruptly changed the name of hers to S##thead.

Nope. I think its ridiculous to name inanimate objects.
You mean like Victory, Cutty Sark, Constitution?
Bull thrower, make em come, Betsy are at least historic
How about Hematige or Mt Vernon?
I’ve named some guns and not others. And one knife, Little Friend, the first knife I ever put together

I've named a bunch of mechanical devices over the years. One old Ford Bronco was named by my wife and she even had a rear window stick made for it. POJ, or pile of junk. The only reason it wasn't pile of s*** was the sign maker was at the PX where she was working at the time and wouldn't print anything like that.

Some names stuck and most were based on the items cantankerous nature.

You mean like Victory, Cutty Sark, Constitution?
Bull thrower, make em come, Betsy are at least historic
How about Hematige or Mt Vernon?
I’ve named some guns and not others. And one knife, Little Friend, the first knife I ever put together
I have no control over what others do or have done. We are talking about ships here. I was referring to naming one of my firearms. I would neither give a name to a gun, than I would name my truck. It's just unnecessary to do so.

weapons get a woman's name because they are WARM & CUDDLEY. as they should be!

Latest posts

Back