• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rifle-Muskets in "Last Samurai "

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Last_Samurai_Muskets.jpg

Not 100% accurate historically but the Imperial Japanese Army did purchase bunches of our surplus Civil War era rifle-muskets and used them in the beginning of the Boshin War of 1868. They were quickly replaced by Snider rifles.

In the 1870s, the setting of the movie , these soldiers would not have had these weapons but it makes for a more exciting battle sequence.

I still always enjoy the "61 Springfield armed soldiers Vs Samurai " battle scene though.

What I really need is one of those cool helmets.

Have you by any chance read Giving Up The Gun by Noel Perrin? It gives some decent history of early firearms in Japan up until the 1880s. I had a copy years ago, but it was lost in a move, along with all my old Sam Fadala black powder books.🤬😭

This movie playing Jan24 2021. I purchased a 43 mauser from gibbs rifle with a letter saying it was used for the movie. Sorry black powder but not a muzzleloader

Back