• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Rifle Identification

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Merriman

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hi can anyone help me identify this rifle ?

Attachments

• 52A19B2C-83B2-4270-8305-EB6BCA389207.jpeg
    52A19B2C-83B2-4270-8305-EB6BCA389207.jpeg
    86.9 KB · Views: 183
  • A7E6A875-632B-4B6B-A526-BBCEAABD51E7.jpeg
    A7E6A875-632B-4B6B-A526-BBCEAABD51E7.jpeg
    76.4 KB · Views: 188
  • DC99BDB0-B116-4DE6-BC47-E53B1BED00C1.jpeg
    DC99BDB0-B116-4DE6-BC47-E53B1BED00C1.jpeg
    106.2 KB · Views: 183
  • CABE66F4-5D6F-42F6-A334-0D1DB3E2CE3F.jpeg
    CABE66F4-5D6F-42F6-A334-0D1DB3E2CE3F.jpeg
    37.3 KB · Views: 176
Well, it looks like a British Enfield Musketoon, but I'm not very savvy about marks etc, but yours has the lock marked 'Tower' and the cartouche in the wood is Birmingham. Original, nice piece, I'm still looking for one in the pawn shops, LOL!. Let us know what you find out, we love to learn! And welcome aboard! George.

Welcome to the forum George. Ditto on the explanation Treestalker gave. It may even have used in the War Between the States. Cavalry and artillery units on both sides were issued musketoons. I can't make out the date, can you tell what it is? Can you tell if it is rifled? If only it could talk. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
To me it looks like a Pattern '56 British cavalry carbine. Very neat find! Bit rusty... The stock cartouche is spectacular and in very nice shape, IMO. Thank you for the pictures and presentation! :)

Thanks guys the first stock cartouche says Birmingham 1887 with W.D. The second cartouche says BAY Arsenal. All the other 1859 Tower Rifles that I can find are longer and have 3 bands. Do you think this was shortened or was this made for cavalry? I can’t seem to make out any rifling in the barrel.

Update Sorry on further inspection date on cartouche is 1867. I am also in Sydney Australia. Yes if only this gun could talk ppg1949. Gun is not pitted but is rusty should I clean it ? What is recommendations to remove rust ?

Update Sorry on further inspection date on cartouche is 1867. I am also in Sydney Australia. Yes if only this gun could talk ppg1949. Gun is not pitted but is rusty should I clean it ? What is recommendations to remove rust ?

Get some VERY fine 0000 BRONZE wool and 3-in-1 oil, and VERY gently try it on a SMALL non-important area of the metal and see what happens. TBH, I got some VERY good results on a 'forbidden' but slighty rust-covered rifle using the Birchwood-Casey lead removing cloth - a kind of yellow felty-like material with a strange odour. Here in UK I've found that the home-clean products of Kleen-eeze make exactly the same thing x\calling it wonder-cloth or similar, Twice as much for half as much.

Remember that ALL you are trying to do is to remove the rust, NOT the underlying finish. Presumably you'll wish to retain the patina on the wood - experts will be along directly to advise you on that, but most here would say that a good wax finish, especially Renaissance Wax, as used by museums all of the world, is a good product.

Welcome to the forum George. Ditto on the explanation Treestalker gave. It may even have used in the War Between the States. Cavalry and artillery units on both sides were issued musketoons. I can't make out the date, can you tell what it is? Can you tell if it is rifled? If only it could talk. Thanks for sharing.

Duh! Welcome to the forum Tim. I addressed you as George. Sorry about the mix up. Another senior moment, lol.

It is a British Enfield Musketoon. The "VR" under the crown and crown over a "broad arrow" at the front of the lock indicate that this weapon was made for the British Government and not for export. In other words, it probably was not here during the Civil War.

DEROS, good info and welcome to the forum. When Tim said he was in Australia, I kind of doubted it had been here. And I have to compliment you on your eyesight and knowledge. Thanks again for your input.

It is a British Enfield Musketoon. The "VR" under the crown and crown over a "broad arrow" at the front of the lock indicate that this weapon was made for the British Government and not for export. In other words, it probably was not here during the Civil War.
Thanks so it would have come to Australia with British troops ?

Duh! Welcome to the forum Tim. I addressed you as George. Sorry about the mix up. Another senior moment, lol.
Why thank you for the welcome PPG!, Although I have been annoying the otherwise august and deferential body of this forum for some time! LOL! I'm glad Tim was not offended, I am descended from nobility and royalty in several nations and may be kin to that George fellow who caused all the ruckus with the colonists some time back, LOL! (Actually not George, but John I 'Lackland' and Richard III.) George (no title).

Why thank you for the welcome PPG!, Although I have been annoying the otherwise august and deferential body of this forum for some time! LOL! I'm glad Tim was not offended, I am descended from nobility and royalty in several nations and may be kin to that George fellow who caused all the ruckus with the colonists some time back, LOL! (Actually not George, but John I 'Lackland' and Richard III.) George (no title).

Treestalker, What can I say? I guess I was having a Senior Moment DAY, lol. It's good to have some nobility in the ranks of our forum. It makes us feel important, lol.

Last edited:
Thanks so it would have come to Australia with British troops ?
Tim--I completely missed the fact that you are in Australia! Yea, I would say the chances are very good the British military brought the weapon to Australia. It's like the Brown Bess, sometimes it seems as though there are more of them in American collections than in English collections.

Back