• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Rifle covers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would like thoughts on these covers. I thought they were probably the same wool used for the gaiters, but they could also be made of canvas sail cloth.
Raiders from New France 1.jpg
IMG_20220331_115344157.jpg

Over the years I've collected quite a few gun covers, but most only fit unmentionables. I have one lined leather case with fringe, I've had it for over 53 years. But it was designed for a particular style gun and only three of mine will fit in it. About 17 years ago a friend made me a cover out of heavy camo flannel. That's the one I normally use but ONLY for transport. I never store guns in any covering.

I agree, but would add that the silicone treated gun socks are worth their weight in gold if you ever have a house fire, even for guns kept in a good gun safe. We had a fire. None of my guns were burned, but all sustained severe damage from the smoke. The smoke from a modern house fire is so cuastic it will etch glass. As soon as we could get back into the house I removed my guns and soaked them down with WD40 to try and stop the corrosion. The first & second pics show how much metal had to come off to remove the pitting caused by the smoke. Third & fourth pictures show a knock-about gun that just had the rust removed.
#1& #2
processed(1).jpeg

processed(2).jpeg

#3 & #4
20220331_144206.jpg
processed(3).jpeg

Gun that was in a sock.
processed.jpeg

The stains are from the fire fighting foam soaking through the sock. Think if I had taken it out of the sock sooner it would not have happened.

I bought a suede leather with fringe that works well for looks but the blanket type from Buffalo Arms are padded and have a design that looks good. The leather one is tight on the hammer.

Kibler has one that i use for transport . I found the same one from the manufacturer costing more so i bought from Jim. The silicon socks do work, have three guns in them. They pad in the safe and keep the dust and moisture out when not in the safe.
There are a few hard cases available for transport and are expensive. The overall gun length is a problem for me. A TC fits the standard modern gun hard case.

I started making
Dixie Gun had / has one that looks like the Mexican serape blanket material, it has a moisture resistant inner liner, I use it for transportation and putting my rifle to bed at night at rendezvous, during the day I have a traditional leather case that I made. . It attracts moisture if damp so I don't leave rifle in it for long

I started making double thickness Muzzleloader blanket sheaths back in the 80's for my ML's, never had any rust problems, Leather might look spiffy but its not a practical option IMHO.

I make mine but never store the firearms in them, only for transporting them.
Some are made from heavy lenin canvas with tapestry liner at the muzzle (exrata padding), one is made from moose and buckskin with heavy pillow ticking liner....all are different and fit for the firearm it goes to.
This is my most recent one patched two tone with scrape leather my wife brought home a while back. It fits my .50cal Percussion.

I hand sew/lace all mine and fringe done by hand with a circular blade and wood ruler.

Attachments

• 20220322_145920.jpg
    20220322_145920.jpg
    367.5 KB · Views: 45
MadL that’s nice work!
When I make those I machine stitch because my hands don’t wanna push needles thru 3 layers of suede and 2 of ticking or flannel for six feet.
When I sell a build I put it in a nice canvas lined Indian blanket from October Country or Track in the hopes it’ll take their eye away from some of my mistakes…
They are Authentic Indian blanket made by real Indians. I know this because the tag says Made in India.

Last edited:
MadL that’s nice work!
When I make those I machine stitch because my hands don’t wanna push needles thru 3 layers of suede and 2 of ticking or flannel for six feet.
When I sell a build I put it in a nice canvas lined Indian blanket from October Country or Track in the hopes it’ll take their eye away from some of my mistakes…
They are Authentic Indian blanket made by real Indians. I know this because the tag says Made in India.
🤣 made in India by real Indians 🤣

The trick to hand sewing or lacing is to have a Good awl, and by keeping it waxed it will help to hold the hole open longer. I do my stuff pretty much free hand so I only make a few holes at a time, on real heavy leather (especially if stacked) then I break out the drill.

This is the Elk hide, Buckskin with ticking liner for one of my pistols.
I stole the design from the one pictured at October County's web site and customized.

The canvas rifle sleeves are pretty straight forward and not flashy.

Attachments

• 20211016_212546.jpg
    20211016_212546.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 20211016_212427.jpg
    20211016_212427.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 20
Makem yourself. Down to goodwill, a torn wool blanket ($2) A Linen slip ($2). Black yard ($2).
About two hours later a lined wool case with fringe. Made it in 05 for my new flinter. Use it every year
Sorry it took so long. Dont know what period if any it is, but it keeps the grand boy's rifle dry.

20220408_172809.jpg20220408_163738.jpg

Latest posts

Back