• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Rifle covers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omahkapi'si

Frontier .50
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Thinking about wool blanket cover for my new Frontier flintlock. I have a couple of nice buckskin fringed ones from October Country on other guns that will fit the flintlock.
Just curious, blanket might be more correct to early 1800’s? Thoughts?

Guns were sometimes sold with ‘flannel’ socks. Flannel in this case being wool flannel.
wool isn’t water proof but turns alight rain.
In cool dry weather it I’ve not had a problem with condensation that a leather cover has given me. And if I do the work it keepsmy guns rust free.
But.
It can hold lots of water. Make sure it goes on dry, cause it can fool you.
All my guns go in a wool cover when I’m out
but I think they are more popular today then in the past

A33B303A-2A25-4028-B51E-A9B371F7B903.png

I have a padded gun sleeve that I use for transporting and tree stand use.

It’s made of heavy cloth fabric.. not HC/PC or water resistant…

But it has saved a couple of love bumps…👍

I had one of the fringed leather ones too..
I never had any issues with it.

But I didn’t use it for storage either.👍

I just bought a wool blanket cover from tow. My thought was, I will not store the rifle in there for long periods but more to travel from truck to shooting bench and it may be more forgiving to a bump or two than a leather case. Plus I’ve had a bad experience once when I stupidly left my six shooter in my leather and, well, it’s never looked the same

I use horse blanket from October Country and leather cases. I try to to wipe down dirty guns with my version of moose milk really well, before re-casing in any fabric or leather. Don’t want old powder residue in there when I put a cleaned gun back in.

I use those silicone impregnated socks that either go over rifles or fishing rods , and a gunbag or a blanket bag over that , Legally ,I have to keep my guns locked in a safe . I live in earthquake country and bumping together in the safe is the main way my long guns have had their stocks marked .

Dixie Gun had / has one that looks like the Mexican serape blanket material, it has a moisture resistant inner liner, I use it for transportation and putting my rifle to bed at night at rendezvous, during the day I have a traditional leather case that I made. . It attracts moisture if damp so I don't leave rifle in it for long

I would not store any gun in any case, with the exception of cased pistols.
IMHO cases are for transport. I have two. One is rigid heavy plastic with a cushioned interior and can be pad locked. I have used it for airline travel. The other is water proof fabric and cushioned interior. My go to the range case.
I have not found anything but gun slips that are long enough for my long rifle. It gets wrapped in blankets and bungeed down for range trips.

My guns are in a safe or on the wall. For transport they are moved in a thick black zippered case that has a long pocket on the outside for the range rod. Cases are made in W. Va. by an American co. and really do an excellent job of protecting the gun.

My first gun sleeve was made of dark brown pigskin leather I bought in 1972 from a store in San Francisco. It worked well; however I thought a waste of leather.
Since then I have made my gun sleeves from two layers of cloth. The inner layer is of flannel and the outer layer is of tougher material such as cotton pillow ticking or upholstery fabric. You can use colorful or drab material as you please to match their intended use, and to make it easy to identify your gun in the rack or leaning against the building or tree , etc. as necessary.
After cutting both fabrics to size, I match the "right sides" together sew the three sides, then turn them inside out , fold in half lengthwise ,and sew the "nose" and long side together leaving abought eight inches open on the long side. I attach some ties of woven tape to the open corners , and hem the opening.
These have worked well over the years. They are cheap and protect each muzzleloader from scratches.

Back