• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rifle barrel quality by Barrel Makers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TraderVic

40 Cal
Reaction score
I am reading about & studying the various flintlock rifle kits and I am considering taking a walk on the wild side and building a rifle myself. Whatever I choose, I'm looking at a swamped barrel for sure.
My question ; Is there really much difference in barrel quality, accuracy, etc., between the better known brands/makers ?
(ex ; Rice, Green Mountain, etc)
FWIW, I'm not looking to stir any pot with this subjective question.
Regards, Vic

I've had no problems with my Colerain barrels. I haven't shot my Rice barreled .32 but I doubt I will have issues.

Because I don't shoot many matches anymore, I buy the cheapest swamped barrel I can find. I have yet to find one that I can outshoot. They are all more accurate than I can hold. Personally, I don't see the need for the deep round bottom rifling. My barrel of choice is the gunmakers barrel with flat bottom rifling from Rice.

Well I don't much care for popcorn & I do care for barrel makers work .But giving you as straight answer is complex Ime not sure if Green Mountain even offer swamped barrels I've used Getz ,Orion GM, & Dougless plus Hawkins NZ .Was impressed by a Rice brl a patron got for me to stock & finish a rifle .
Jerry Cunningham once told me" It was a bad barrel that wouldn't shoot" implying ,most all would or should shoot exceptabley . Well he made enough to know and a fine gentleman I found him . I omitted Rayl & others I've not used . & Mr Hoyt seems a very capable maker . I think its rather up to what you seek in a rifle .I much favour swamped barrels . Come to that I favour original Damascus barrels .If your on a fireing line look at what's being shot apart from the factory stuff ( I know as much of them as I want too Nothing.) I expect you will find strong opinions as to what's best I doubt any will be soley for one or the other . But you will gather some consensus .Some more into match rifle others pure primitive . Thats's a long winded summery . Generally you get what you pay for & you takes your choice . Have fun .
Rudyard

Hi,
I built and shot guns with barrels from Colerain, Rice, Green Mountain, Burton, Getz, Rayl, Hoyt, Numerich, and Douglas. They all can be made to shoot very well. However, I was thinking about this a few days ago and there were 5 guns (out of at least 70 I've built) that stood out as having been the easiest for which to find a good load for accuracy. Three of those guns had Colerain barrels and 2 had Green Mountain barrels.

dave

Thanks for your replies based on your experience. I know it's very subjective and certainly a moving target (no pun intended).
I've been reading many comments across many threads regarding flintlock rifle kits and a novice builder, which would be me for sure and it sounds like even I can build a Jim Kibler SMR.
FWIW, I asked about barrel makers because Jim Kibler switched from Rice to Green Mountain barrels in his kits.
Thank you all for your input.
Best regards, Vic

I'd say you won't find any differences when shooting any of the major barrel makers. They all can be made to shoot. That is my humble opinion.

I would add that if the best possible accuracy is important to you, avoid narrow, deep round bottom rifling.

Thanks for your replies based on your experience. I know it's very subjective and certainly a moving target (no pun intended).
I've been reading many comments across many threads regarding flintlock rifle kits and a novice builder, which would be me for sure and it sounds like even I can build a Jim Kibler SMR.
FWIW, I asked about barrel makers because Jim Kibler switched from Rice to Green Mountain barrels in his kits.
Thank you all for your input.
Best regards, Vic
Hi,
Jim made the switch to Green Mountain because they will supply him with barrel blanks that he can profile with his CNC machinery. He did not have any quality issues with Rice barrels except they had to be sent to him with just a rough machine finish on the outside so he could be sure the dimensions were always exactly the same to match his CNC machined stocks. That meant kit owners had to do a bit more draw filing on the barrels to finish them up. Since he is now able to machine his own barrels to his kit specs, he needed barrel blanks, which GM was able to supply.

dave

Hi Dave,
In an email inquiry to Jim & Katherine Kibler this morning regarding their SMR kit, Katherine said the same thing....as Jim wants to do as much work in his own shop as he can for quality control. Certainly makes business sense.
Regards, Vic

I have never had a GM ML barrel that did not shoot up to my OCD expectations. Kibler using them is a plus IMHO.

Regarding the narrow deep rounded groove barrels. I have tried one, it shot terrible, I threw it away and installed a GM. The GM wins matches. IF the rounded grooves were wide and not too deep I bet they would shoot great.

That is not how the most common ones are made though. They are 50:50 land and groove with a radius for the grooves. The groove is too deep to get a patch seal. They do not shoot as accurately as a normal barrel.

IMHO making the grooves about 70% and the lands about 30% is is deal. Making the grooves about 0.012" deep is about right. So, Like the GM barrels. I don't think rounded or square matters by itself.

IF you shoot a loose combo and never swab the barrel none of this matters.

Just my opinion.....

I personally believe all of the current barrel makers make top quality barrels equal to the Bill Large and Douglas barrels that were considered the top of the line, back when I started building rifles.

Back