• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Ridiculous

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm happy to have enough stock to last me a good while.
Powder when I find it (ya gotta look), procure necessary molds to roll my own and say thank you every time I score some cheap to free lead. And if you shoot a flinter, learn to knap. It's part of the fun!

wm

Sorry if a repeat but seems related. When my friend had his stroke we removed all the guns and powder from the house at the family's request to help sell them. There was some 20+ cans of BP alone IIRC. We sold what we could but Family said keep the powder so i am set for life. Sadly, Just before he passed, he had a short period of clarity and asked if we got the 25 pounds out of the garage!!! Due to distance I was unable to get up to his place after they moved him to a home. His "caretaker" stole ever everything else including the powder, tools, ammo and reloading stuff plus his car and truck. About 100K worth. This was in Belfair WA so heads up.

Sounds like time for a little Mason County justice.

wm
I remain ill over the whole thing. My $100K estimate was very conservative as he had far more than that. Was able to help sell his mills and lathes as they were to heavy to run off with and provide his daughters with additional financial assistance. They gifted me his cherished target GPR which i will keep, shoot and eventually and give to my grandson. FWIW His "caretaker" was approved by his church which is a spear to the side alone. The lesson here is to divest yourself when you're in the last quarter lest you want to go out in misery. Have taken this to heart and now listening to my own advice as painful as it is.

Sorry if a repeat but seems related. When my friend had his stroke we removed all the guns and powder from the house at the family's request to help sell them. There was some 20+ cans of BP alone IIRC. We sold what we could but Family said keep the powder so i am set for life. Sadly, Just before he passed, he had a short period of clarity and asked if we got the 25 pounds out of the garage!!! Due to distance I was unable to get up to his place after they moved him to a home. His "caretaker" stole ever everything else including the powder, tools, ammo and reloading stuff plus his car and truck. About 100K worth. This was in Belfair WA so heads up.
This saddens me; that person’s time will come and they will be held accountable one day. Life is predictable like that. I’ve never understood the mentality of folks who take advantage of others, especially those who are in poor health.

I'm just saying what the price is today. It's for Graf's own brand.
Goex is about $ 22.00 a pound.
The hazmat fee is about 10 dollars plus shipping is about 12 bucks, I think it says.

When I was a teen, late 50s, I walked or biked past Jackson Arms between Jr high school and home. They knew me well! I couldn't afford any firearms, so made small cannons on my dad's lathe. I would stop in every few months for a 1# can of DuPont BP at $1.25. Paper route earnings allowed such. Later in high School I graduated to larger (1 1/8 in bore), so bought a 25# keg of DuPont blasting (cannon) powder. Cost me $11.50 plus a coupla bux freight. Second keg a few years later cost much more...$16!

276FD216-2CFF-4DA8-B836-D9E0E67E1E2F.jpeg

This will last me the next 2 years, that’ll be more than enough for hunting and a few target practices.

I've just bought a kilo of ZlotyStok ZS1 Polish Black Powder from a UK dealer for £62 ($86.6) a kilo less carriage (Dangerous Goods Transport). Swiss 1 is now £82 ($114.5) a kilo!!
Even your basic fine Black Powder is £51.60 ($72.00) for a kilo. Makes shooting my cannon (60 grains Swiss 1) an expensive business! Hence the reason to try ZlotyStok!

And THAT is why I'll be changing over to the Polish stuff as soon as I've shot my Swiss.

Yeah, plus what would the shipping cost? My LGS, at the start of this current shortage, raised BP from 25 to 30......don't know what it is currently. Glad I had a good supply to start, plus I don't use that much; as I age, I want to shoot more, and "collect" less...big part of collecting is "The Hunt". Just picked up a 1980's Bernadelli Mississippi M1841 repro musket; currently refinishing the stock.

Anyone else think that prices on powder (and everything else) is due to runaway inflation?
I also am concerned about inflation, I do think that this particular shortage is a harbinger of future price increases on other products. I would call what we are seeing in shooting sports price goughing rather than inflation.

I don't see the price going up for Graf's but they aren't greedy. Covid and inflation has nothing to do with the greedy prices.

Graf has had two big price increases on powder this year so far I mentioned this in post #33

You're right. I see Goex is at $22 now. I haven't looked in a while. Not everybody though. I just paid $18 lb for Goex.

Back