• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Ridiculous Cap Pricing

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hate to be the one to break it to you but, things are never going to go ‘back to normal’ and probably not even anywhere close to normal.

Sadly, I agree with you.
I predict some of the ammo, gun, and component companies will be sued out of business over the next 1 to 5 years over liability claims.
Cost will skyrocket.
Availability will plummet.

I bought one last summer and make a test batch of caps. Worked great. Glad I have it as a back up.
Just ordered one last night and the priming compound to go with it says enough compound to make 2000 caps can't wait to see how it works 👍👍👍

Try sharpshooter 22lr reloader. They have the "#11 percussion cap maker" and the "prime-all" to make your caps. Not a hazmat shipping items. It does make caps that work!
Happy shooting.

Or take a walk along any highway. Maybe check out the local recycling center. Buy a few off a homeless person?

I also got a cap tool from 22lr, but can't locate the roll caps. At least not on line. Walmart doesn't have them in stock - the good German ones (Legends). Where have you guys found them recently?

Here is one that all should take notice of what is going on Primers for center fired in the Hudson valley per 1k are hard to locate found a dealer that has some they star at $150 per 1k and some other dealer is getting $250 per 1k What is going on it is note just black powder items. :doh:

You can make #11 caps from small pistol / rifle cf primers by removing the anvils from them. Or use Berdan primers that have no integral anvil.

You can make #11 caps from small pistol / rifle cf primers by removing the anvils from them. Or use Berdan primers that have no integral anvil.
Have you priced small pistol / rifle cf primers lately, if you can find them? In my opinion, if you have primers you don’t need or want, I would attempt to trade for percussion caps, unless really desperate.

Kinda hoping they'll gain some popularity.

Iraqveteran8888 has a matchlock video. Such a ridiculous contraption! Whoever invented the matchlock had nerves of steel. Shooting a matchlock reminds me of that photo many of you may have seen of the guy who invented the bulletproof vest. "Go ahead and shoot at me, lets see if it works!"

On all these various shortages, people forget we are still in covid and planes, trains and automobiles arent going like they used to. The supply chain A to Z is in shambles worldwide. We make rifle slings which are shipped from Malaysia and we've been out of business for a year now because planes that carry the cargo are not flying. This is why there is no stock of Ubertis, etc etc etc. Any gun item relying on transport, especially foreign-grown ingredients are affected. Just for amusement, read this because people overlook the problem. Its not simply a supply/demand problem as people continue to believe:
https://www.channelnewsasia.com/new...ljxhbtdiljumizdeljygu3dkljtmuydszjtgbtgkyjzgi

On more note on all the shortages.

As has happened before, shortages breed innovation and creativity because people only take lack up of supply up to a point before they start thinking outside. Ive been re-reading an Army manual about improvised weapons which is not suitable discussion in this forum but mentioned because Covid changes are permanent and we have to figure out how else to carry on. In the old days, we sought to end viruses and move on. Now with so many crazies at the helm, we arent moving on without societal re-imaginings. Where does that leave sane people? At the workbench. And that should be our approach to everything, in my opinion. Re-thinking how and where to live is suddenly as important as a shortage of a critical item. Shortages off all kinds are coming as way of life. As AOC said, you arent going back to brunch, so think alternatively for everything.

I agree the shortage are going to create innovation and probably bring a lot more people back into the do it yourself culture that flourished pre 1970's. This is a good thing. I see some mention of Sharpshooters kits for priming compound and the tool to make #11 caps. I purchased some of the priming compound, but saved the $50 on the tool since I have a metal lathe and can make one just as good myself, and can easily make other sizes as well. Having machining capabilities also means I am immune from the outrageous prices that bullet molds of all type are bringing and can make any size, shape I might need. Start thinking about acquiring some tools and learn how to use them, this situation in my opinion is just starting and everybody will benefit from being more self sufficient whether that means growing your own vegetables, doing common house repairs, or making your own percussion caps. At the end of the day I find these pursuits just as satisfying as any other hobby of mine and healthier than a lot of others.

This thread jogged my memory that I had bought and put away one of the Tap-o-cap percussion cap makers about 20 years ago. I never used it. I went out to the garage and found it !! Now I need to find some up to date roll caps and try making some percussion caps to see how well they work. That little box of roll caps may or may not work as it is 20+ years old.
Ohio Rusty ><>

Attachments

• tapocap.JPG
    tapocap.JPG
    150.8 KB · Views: 81
I got to thinking (always a bit sketchy if this happens) am in OK shape with the necessary percussion caps but I do have a 94 count tin of #10 CCI that are too small for the revolvers I own, where #10 Remington fit fine. I discovered this of course the first time I went to fire. They did fire the 2nd time pass around. If they could (safely) be seated on the nipples all the way home, they would be fine. Can't think of any method that might do, that doesn't give me the heebie-jeebies when involving a charged cylinder. It's my understanding that percussion caps are just that, they don't ignite under compression per se, they need to be struck.

I got to thinking (always a bit sketchy if this happens) am in OK shape with the necessary percussion caps but I do have a 94 count tin of #10 CCI that are too small for the revolvers I own, where #10 Remington fit fine. I discovered this of course the first time I went to fire. They did fire the 2nd time pass around. If they could (safely) be seated on the nipples all the way home, they would be fine. Can't think of any method that might do, that doesn't give me the heebie-jeebies when involving a charged cylinder. It's my understanding that percussion caps are just that, they don't ignite under compression per se, they need to be struck.
Try seating them with the hammer. Point the revolver down range, let the hammer down gently on the cap and push. It won't go off but if it does, so what. It works on my rifes where I have been using #10 for everything ( I don't have any muskets).

Try the Slix-Shot nipples.

Latest posts

Back