• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Ridiculous Cap Pricing

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@shootrj2003, flint stones aren't common everywhere. That's one reason why the black English flints and French amber flints are so prized. Flint points were a common trade item among various Native American tribes as some tribes lived where flint was not available on the ground.
Ohh don’t I know it,England and France simply have fine grades of flint,Not only that but some flint simply isn’t too good for knapping so you have to know where good flint is,Native Americans and Stone Age people ,no doubt ,knew the sources or traded for them,there are lots of indications of “ traders ““in pre Colombian America who transported such things to where such things were not found in return for other things such as Cowery shells and other things,so it’s not everywhere it was like gold ,is where you find it! My fields here are right smack dab in the center of the original Delaware nation and the Lenni Lenape people left lots of old flint arrow heads around but these mountains I hunt in ,the Shawangunks and Catskillsat where I have been have not been shown to be rich in flint, they do have lead ,silver and copper but apparently slate and limestone at least locally don’t carry much flint ,so they got it from somewhere,I have a friend an archeologist/ geologist ,I will ask him where it is to found.I think I have seen pictures of flint nodes involved with chalk but that’s not 100% for sure.
Obviously my friend with the bows gets it somewhere,I know a Church ,in Middletown N.Y. Made of stone that is infused with tiny shards of flint but most of it is too small for even arrowheads,it’s all mixed up in the stone which might be volcanic maybE lava that mixed with a flint deposit.there are igneous areas over by the Hudson river,such as the palisades but those are different mountains made differently.I’m not sayin there ain’t flint in these two ranges,just sayin I haven’t seen any,and there are other rocks that spark but I never used them.I buy amber,gray and black, Sorry this got long winded,but right now flint is the cheapest spark available I just paid $8.99 a can for three cans of caps just because they had them,so I am set for awhile,it’s good that front stuffers shoot slower than .22’s ,right? Lol now I’ll shut up!

Back