• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Ridiculous Cap Pricing

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have seen them as low as $12.00 at Midway and as high as $37.00 at Jedediah Starr for the same thing.

I just got 2 packs of caps at my local gun store. I seen quite a few at another gun store Saturday, I’ve got plenty so i passed on them. I also have a flintlock or two, so while arrowhead hunting I always keep flint shards that can readily be made into useable flints when needed.

Fleener is correct, it was started to "train the employees how to handle hazardous materials" by UPS and the other shippers said what a greed.. er great idea. :mad:

Also could be considered a reward for "handling" hazardous materials, self insurance.

There is no doubt that there are increased cost for shipping or transporting HM regarding insurance and training. Companies use the Haz Mat fees to recover the increased cost.

Fleener

So the Haz Mat fee is not required by the government, this a optional fee charged by the vendor?

I purchased 2 tins of 100 from Dixie Gun Works on 1/8. They showed in stock at the time. My order has been “In Shipping” for a week. I only have a few weeks of quail season left and I’d like to pattern my new gun before taking it out hunting.

I stopped At Dixie on my way south in November and paid $9.90 limit of two, stopped at a gun shop in Pensacola this morning and paid 5.99 and bought 6 packs. Could have bought more but with what I have at home that should do me for while. I did not want to hoard ,so I left plenty for the next guy.

My buds that still have them say the chinese caps do not work very well.
Being I leave the cap guns to kids, grew up at 50 and got a flinter.
I put 2-3 of the roll cap "buttons" in each cap with a drop of Duco cement, then firmly compress the caps into the shell. I prime the nipple with 4f then cap. I have rarely had a cap not go off.

So the Haz Mat fee is not required by the government, this a optional fee charged by the vendor?
That's right. The government does not charge a fee but, the Federal government does impose rules about transporting hazardous materials on the nations highways, labeling the containers, keeping records and training employees. These are shown in this link

https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/regulatio...omply-federal-hazardous-materials-regulations
The shipping companies charge fees to cover the costs of meeting the federal regulations and of course, to increase their profits.

I can make my own caps with the "Tap-A-Cap" punch and some toy roll caps when I can't get real percussion caps. For now, I have been shooting mostly flint locks. I can always find a rock that will produce sparks if I can't buy flints.
You mean they still let children play with cap pistols? The horror, lol!

So, that comes out to .2395 cents per cap, durn close to a quarter a shot. Granted they are out of them, but that is Ridiculous.

I only charge $2 a tin. I don't have any either, but my prices are excellent.

It's cute that people still think things will "get back to normal."

"Normal" is what got us to this point, right here right now. Oh Well. This is Normal right now, and will likely be considered the "Good Old Days" pretty quick.

Latest posts

Back