• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ridiculous Cap Pricing

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishDFly

69 Cal.
Reaction score
Ridiculous cap pricing at Dixie

Dixie has CCI caps at $8.95 per tin with a limit of 2, that comes to $17.90. You add on the $30.00 HAZMAT fee you are up to $47.90 for 200 caps. So, that comes out to .2395 cents per cap, durn close to a quarter a shot.

Granted they are out of them, but that is Ridiculous.

Dixie has CCI caps at $8.95 per tin with a limit of 2, that comes to $17.90. You add on the $30.00 HAZMAT fee you are up to $47.90 for 200 caps. So, that comes out to .2395 cents per cap, durn close to a quarter a shot.

You can thank the government for the hazmat fee......... I'm waiting for things to get back to normal and for supply to catch up then I'll buy what I need by walking into Cabela's skipping the hazmat and shipping fees.

Maybe a few more than you want, but MidwayUSA has RWS #11s. 2500 for $125 plus $12 hazmat (plus state tax) and maybe $10 shipping unless you catch a free shipping deal. Just bought 5K for about $0.056 each delivered. Not a ‘great’ deal, but I’m set for a while (and realistically I usually shoot flint), even if there is an extended period of caps being difficult to find or unavailable.

Maybe a few more than you want, but MidwayUSA has RWS #11s. 2500 for $125 plus $12 hazmat (plus state tax) and maybe $10 shipping unless you catch a free shipping deal. Just bought 5K for about $0.056 each delivered. Not a ‘great’ deal, but I’m set for a while (and realistically I usually shoot flint), even if there is an extended period of caps being difficult to find or unavailable.

They ship FAST, too. Ordered from Midway two days ago and got a shipping notice yesterday.

"That's why it's always smart to have a Flinter or two around."

Recently, folks here have been complaining that they cannot find flints, so owning flintlocks is not a panacea.

I am long on caps, so I do not need any. Set for a very long time.

It just pains me to see where things are now.

I can make my own caps with the "Tap-A-Cap" punch and some toy roll caps when I can't get real percussion caps. For now, I have been shooting mostly flint locks. I can always find a rock that will produce sparks if I can't buy flints.

Within the last couple of years, I've started shooting flintlocks much more. In fact the most recent black-powder acquisitions have been flintlocks.

What I discovered was that with the average amount of shots that I could get from each flint, it was cheaper to shoot than with percussion caps.

So there is one advantage to using flintlock guns.

I can make my own caps with the "Tap-A-Cap"

I can always find a rock that will produce sparks if I can't buy flints.

I have not seen a Tap-A-Cap in decades, they worked well. I dont even know if you can get caps any more.

I bought 5 lbs of flint shards years ago. If I ever run out of already made ones, I can make more. Every flint owner should learn to make them.

You can thank the government for the hazmat fee......... I'm waiting for things to get back to normal and for supply to catch up then I'll buy what I need by walking into Cabela's skipping the hazmat and shipping fees.

Hate to be the one to break it to you but, things are never going to go ‘back to normal’ and probably not even anywhere close to normal.

I bought 1000 back in 08.....$65.00

Which was high for that time.... thanks to the greatest gun salesman of all time.

I started shooting flint mostly in 2010, so I have enough left for my needs in the immediate future....

I have not seen a Tap-A-Cap in decades, they worked well. I dont even know if you can get caps any more.

I bought 5 lbs of flint shards years ago. If I ever run out of already made ones, I can make more. Every flint owner should learn to make them.
The "Tap a Cap" is advertised in the "Backwoodsman" magazine, and roll caps can still be purchased on Fleabay.

Back