• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

FOR SALE Ridgepole Sleeves

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drissel

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone know where you can get ridgepole sleeves to join 2x4 together to make them longer, which won't break the bank, $40 for a metal sleeve seems steep to me. I know Panther Primitives have them, but they are about $42 each. Or even something else that is easy to set up, I suppose one could make something out of wood, but I don't know a plan that would be sturdy enough.

Mine is linked with a box that uses 2 3/4" dowel pegs. Basically it works as follows. Line up your 2x4 ridge pole, clad the joint on either side (the 4" side) with 1x4 that is 24" long (12 inches to either side of your ridge pole joint. Clamp it together. Drill 4 3/4"holes, two approximately 3" to the left and right of the ridge pole joint and 2 approximately 3 to 4" in from the ends of the 1x4. Peg with dowel that can be hammered in to set the pole and tapped out when you want to tear down. Leave the pegs with about 1/4" extra on either side.
It is a pretty easy and cheap joint. If you line the wood up, clamp it and drill it, you should have no issues.
I did this but then joined the bottom of the 1x4, making a 3 sided box for added support.

Blockade Runner I think still has those sleeves… They were around $30

A half lap joint woks too….with carriage bolts & wing nuts….

Mountain Men always picked up wing nuts & bolts in St. Louie on their way out West…..
Before anyone ask…🥴
Genuine Hawken they were! lol

Last edited:
Local welders shop should be able to make them. Mine were made buy a friend of my fathers cost me a 6 pack of beer. The other option would be make a round ridge and sleeve with P.V.C. I have a set up like that also for a wall tent they just slide together and are very sturdy.

Does anyone know where you can get ridgepole sleeves to join 2x4 together to make them longer, which won't break the bank, $40 for a metal sleeve seems steep to me. I know Panther Primitives have them, but they are about $42 each. Or even something else that is easy to set up, I suppose one could make something out of wood, but I don't know a plan that would be sturdy enough.
If you cut a long scarfe joint, you should be able to lash them as you assemble the pole. I made the sections (3) just long enough to fit into my truck bed. I extended the pole out to support an awning in front of the tent. 3 uprights to support the whole thing (1 at each end, 1 in the middle) If you use the pipe straps, you don't need the dowels because the parts align themselves. Carefully done, you can vary the length of the ridge by adding more or fewer sections. I hope the diagram helps you see what I mean.

Attachments

• IMG_4919.JPG
    IMG_4919.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 0
Yes BLOCKADE RUNNER has sleeves listed, but they seem light they may be out of business, due to illness or something, maybe it is only a temporary thing but cant seem to order anything from them.

I thought the web site said they were excepting internet orders only at this time…

D8636F3E-B52B-43E9-BB8E-EF7FB06F5121.jpeg

🥴👍

You might try the email option..

Tried again today, and things worked, the last time I tried the website must not have been working right. Ordered 2 sleeves. Thanks everyone

If you have a metals company in your area that supplies steel including metal tubing, just carry a short section of 2X4 with you and see what they have that will fit. Most shops have short drops in their scrap pile that would work. They make the tubing in various thickness, so inside dimensions will vary. You want to start with a 2X4 steel tubing which would be a full dimensional 2" X 4", but the interior would be a closer fit for a standard 2X4 lumber which is actually 1 5/8" X 3 1/2". They make the tubing in a true dimensional 2"X4", with two wall thicknesses that might work, a .125 or a .187 which weight wise might be a little heavy, but scrap price for a drop sure beats the heck out of $40. It might be as simple as finding out if Simpson Strong-Tie makes a tubular butt joint socket for 2X4s, I know most builders supply carries their hardware which might not have that particular item in stock, but worth the effort to check out their catalog.

Two pieces of 1-1/2 inch channel for top and bottom, 3 feet long. Position on joint, clamp, drill 3 slightly oversize holes through both channels and 2x4 on both sides of the joint. Drop carriage bolt through the top, add lock washer and wing nut to the bottom. Hand tighten.

Hardware is period correct, been around hundred if not thousands of years.

Back