• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Richmond Muzzle Loading Carbine

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JCP3151

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hi, I am new to this forum, and I am excited about the newest addition to my collection of carbines. I purchased this muzzle loading carbine at an online auction the Sunday before last. It is an 1863 dated “Low Hump” Richmond carbine. It along with the Richmond rifle musket was manufactured at the Confederate Arsenal in Richmond, from machinery removed from the Harpers Ferry Arsenal when Virginia state troops captured it in April of 1861. The carbine is a muzzle loading .58 caliber weapon with a percussion firing system. It has a barrel length of 25 inches and the barrel is marked with the typical “V P” and an Eagle’s head and the lock plate has on two lines, “C. S.” and “RICHMOND, VA” and above the trigger the date of “1863”

My carbine, as were the Richmond rifle muskets, was patterned after the U.S. Model 1855 rifle musket which Harpers Ferry produced 10,000 of them just in 1860. Since the Model 1855 used the Maynard tape primer system, and that was the die which was brought to Richmond, the Confederate versions had a hump, where the Maynard tape primer would have been located, even though the Richmond weapons utilized the percussion cap system. My carbine is a later “low hump” version, after they shaved about 3/8 of an inch off the hump.

My research would indicate that less than 10,000 of the Richmond carbines were manufactured. I found Richmond Arsenal records which show as of November 30, 1864 they had produced a total of 8,118 carbines at the arsenal. I could not find production numbers after that, so likely additional ones were made, but the arsenal for the most part shut down sometime in January 1865 due to a lack of parts and supplies.
My Richmond Carbine-Right-CUTOUT.jpg
My Richmond Carbine-Left-CUTOUT.jpg

Very neat, I had read they made these due to lack of full length stocks and they cut down salvaged barrels from Battlefield recovered weapons
Thank you. I found one source that said J.E.B. Stuart requested, though Robert E. Lee, that the Confederates manufacure a shorter rifled firearm for his cavalry troops to replace the, brought from home, shotguns which many of his men were using. You are correct, the Richmond Arsenal salvaged whatever they could for gun parts, including battlefield recovered arms.

Back