• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Richland Arms .54

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I inherited a .54 hawken style ML. It's in decent shape, needs a little cleaning.

Does anyone know the twist rate on these?

Is there any place to get a new stock? This one is cheesy with a rubber butt pad.....not the most traditional looking.

I'm a round ball guy, what's a good starting point for a load. I use Goex 3F.

Hopefully I can get some pictures up soon.

I have a .50 Richland Arms. Mine was made by Investarms ( the same company that made Lyman for many years ). I don’t know for sure but think they are one in 48” twist. I would guess if you found a Hawken style stock for a Lyman or those produced for Cabela’s/Bass Pro that they would work with your hardware. I would start at 70 grains of 2F and a round ball and work up to 90 grains to find a good load. Greg

Thanks for the info. Currently, I only have Goex 3F powder. So I am guessing to start around 50 - 60gr and work up from there?

I'm guessing a .530 ball and a .018 patch? Will a .50 patch work for a .54?

Sorry for so many questions, I dont know anything about .54's and figure this is the best place to get information I can count on and know its correct.

I have a 22 inch 50cal Richland Arms barrel, and indeed they were made by Invest arms. have had several in .54 and they all have been stainless barrels blued. excellent shooting barrels.
most also were 1/48 twist though the .50 i have now is 1/32 go figure. that 22inch is a barker with full loads.
usually the wood on these is spectacular. I have been tempted to fit a curved butt plate to mine. would if i could find a iron one.

Thanks for the info. Currently, I only have Goex 3F powder. So I am guessing to start around 50 - 60gr and work up from there?

I'm guessing a .530 ball and a .018 patch? Will a .50 patch work for a .54?

Sorry for so many questions, I dont know anything about .54's and figure this is the best place to get information I can count on and know its correct.
Yes your line of thinking is good. Should be able to start there and find an acceptable load. Should be a good deer sized thumper! Greg 😀

so upon inspection of this rifle, I found that the set trigger screw is broken, where as the screw is slotted and only half of the head is present. Anyone know where to get another? This screw is tiny and I doubt an ace hardware would have any....

do you know the thread pitch and screw size of the one you purchased? i also need a replacement and my gauges are too course for the threads on mine. also was your replacement blued. if not a little birchwood caseys on it after cleaning it will work. thanks, enjoy the great .54.:)

do you know the thread pitch and screw size of the one you purchased? i also need a replacement and my gauges are too course for the threads on mine. also was your replacement blued. if not a little birchwood caseys on it after cleaning it will work. thanks, enjoy the great .54.:)

2.5mm I believe. I got the smallest length they had and shortened as needed. They only had silver, but a little cold blue fixed that. Not sure on thread pitch as I took my old screw in to Ace Hardware, found the nut that would spin on and bought the corresponding screw, this way i didn't buy the wrong one.

So the .54 had been sitting for about 20 years and then given to me. The barrel was full of dust, light rust, and wasnt cleaned very well, it is now bright and shiny. The exterior of the barrel had a few spots of slight surface rust, all gone now. The stock finish was horrible with the original clear coat coming off, I refinished the stock by stripping, sanding and then hand rubbing 8 coats of BLO. The bolster screw was stripped out, which I replaced with a 10/32 set screw. The nipple was replaced. A few other screws were chewed up and I replaced those too.

Everything put back together, all I need to do is get it out and send some RB's downrange.

20210403_074955.jpg

PXL_20210410_221216752.jpg

Here's a better pic. The BLO really brought the stock to life. Found a wood rod for it, ordering that soon. Gonna try to get to the range in the next week.

I have an Investarms .54. Not Richland branded, but otherwise nearly identical. The twist rate is 1:48 and I shoot .530 round ball with a .010 patch. Mine likes 60 grains of 2f but you may find a better load for yours. Be safe and have fun with it. It’s a fine gun.

You did a great job bringing it back to life! If you have not sealed that BLO finish, I recommend sealing it with a paste wax. That will keep any fouling runoff (from cleaning) soaking into that nice finish and ruining your hard work.

So I need some help. I am not a fan of the rubber recoil pad. As the stock is straight cut for this, does anyone make a metal curved butt plate that will install with very little modification and not loose the length of pull? I know that's a lot to ask, but I don't know how to go about getting a more traditional feel without replacing the stock.

Back