• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Richards - London Double Barrel - Double Trigger

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BensSG

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello,

I just bought this rifle at a gun show and was wondering, if you could help me figuring out what it was. I am completely new to the world of muzzleloading and thought it looked nice and would be a good start.

The only identification marks I could see is "Richards" on the sides and "Richards - London" on the barrel.

Thank you !

Ben

IMG_8498.jpg
IMG_8497.jpg
IMG_8500.jpg
Cap5555ture.JPG
IMG_8496.jpg
IMG_8500.jpg

You will find that the name Richards was a common name in the gun trade not only in London but also Birmingham and the surrounding towns It was common for provincial makers to sign their guns London . You gun looks typical provincial but in good condition have it checked out by a gun smith who knows about original muzzle loader and if it would be safe to use
Feltwad

PS - it's a shotgun. Rifles have rifling and rear sights.
Typical double rifles of the era were made by the top gunmakers in London and Birmingham, but mostly London and cost a fortune, even then. They were always fully-cased and came with all the accessories needed to cast the ball, load and shoot them and care for them from the point of view of maintenance - turnscrews and lock tools etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you. I will try to find a gunsmith here in Phoenix to take a look at it.

Any idea how one could tell from which year/era it could be ?

Thank you. I will try to find a gunsmith here in Phoenix to take a look at it.

Any idea how one could tell from which year/era it could be ?
I would say that your gun is about 1840-50 towards the end of the muzzle loading period it will be true cylinder and using a light volume load according to the bore size it should be OK for both clays and game. Hope that has been of some help
Feltwad

After getting it cleared to shoot safely by a gunsmith who knows what he's looking at, you might care to take a bit of time to locate a BP shooting club, or, at least, somebody who can steer you through the oft-times tortuous ways of BP shooting.

Is it just me, or are there more people on here to ID a gun, get a market price, and vanish ? Who have ZERO interest in shooting muzzleloaders?

Back