• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

SOLD Richards Cape Gun 16/.40

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
This is a high quality English cape gun made by RICHARDS. I have been unable to determine which one, as one was in Birmingham and other in Liverpool. It has 29" barrels in 16 gauge and about .40 cal. Bores are very shootable and sound. Rifle trigger is a set trigger that you push forward. Metal has nice browning finish. Locks work well and replacement nipples tell me someone has fired it in recent history. The wood is nicely inlet with curved buttplate and patch box. Ramrod has an interesting cleaning jag. Bad news is there is a clean crack through the wrist. I was going to restore this, but have too many other projects. I have been quoted $150-200 to repair stock. Asking $600 SHIPPED to your door. More photos on request.
IMG_20210107_164004063.jpg
IMG_20210107_164208970.jpg
IMG_20210107_164015366.jpg
IMG_20210107_164356987.jpg
IMG_20210107_164045377.jpg
IMG_20210106_120029298.jpg
IMG_20210106_115931556.jpg

That is a fine looking old gun, and an easy repair to the wrist.
Properly done it will be stronger than original.
Someone will get a nice gun for a great price.
With such a gun, you only need one gun. 16 ga. fo deer, birds, bunnies, and squirrels, and .40 cal for squirrels, small game, and fun.
What more would you want?

Any idea on twist of the .40 barrel? Deep or shallow grooves?
Looks to be about 1:46, give or take. Rifling is, to my eye, reasonably deep. I will see if I can get a photo. Also, I was able to get a much better look at the rifle bore and it is as nice as most modern muzzleloaders I have had that have seen use.

I'm wondering what type of sights it has; single front bead, front and back, or a drilling type drop-down rear sight?

I assume at that twist rate the barrel was intended for a conical bullet? Input from anyone?
That is what I was thinking. When I ran a flagged patched rod down the bore, it did half a turn at 23", more or less. Not enough barrel for full turn. But people do shoot PRBs out of modern 1:48 barrels with good success. This would have been a stalking gun intended for shorter ranges.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back