• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rice Barrels BIG .50 Cal at 1,200 Yards, 3 Consecutive Hits on Steel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A Rice .50 caliber Fast Twist barrel measures 1" across the flats octagon. Rice doesn't make the .50 caliber in 15/16" octagon. The .45 caliber is available in either 15/16" or 1" straight octagon. Barrels come standard at 28" & 32" long, with the underrib, 2 ramrod pipes, and the barrel wedge key underlug installed, in the white (not blued). The front sight dovetail is machined into place. I do not recall if Rice drills & taps the barrel for the traditional open rear sight. (edit: Williams sights are provided)

Groove depth is 0.0035"-0.004" deep.

The barrels come with a Rice percussion snail drum hooked breech that fits the Thompson/Center hooked tang. The drum takes a standard 1/4"-28 threaded nipple. Platinum-lined nipples are recommended due to the high breech pressures generated by heavy lead conicals in a fast twist barrel.

The .45 caliber is available standard with a 1:18" or 1:28" rate of twist. The .50 caliber is available standard with a 1:24" rate of twist. Other twists are available upon request.

As a note of interest, these Rice drop-in barrels are available in standard round ball calibers & twists in Rice's standard muzzleloading steel. Depth of the grooves is 0.010"-0.012" deep.

(15/16") .32, .36, .40, .45, & .50 caliber
(1") .32, .36, .40, .45, .50, & .54 caliber

.32, .36, & .40 caliber = 1:48" twist
.45, .50, & .54 caliber = 1:66" twist

Twist rates can be changed upon request.

Last edited:
I’ve actually been contemplating sending the ratty barrel on my investarms Hawken to Rayl or Hoyt for a liner. One of my shooting buddies is set up for long .375 conicals in a tc Hawken. If I go with that caliber, I won’t have to buy a mold.

all this long range stuff is gonna cost me money.
Well... Not that much really if your buddy has molds and you have a ratty barrel... Bobby can fix that for around $200.00, $60.00 to BACO for a Platinum lined nipple and you'll have a brand new rifle!

I recently discovered your youtube videos and found them both interesting and informative although I have always been a PRB shooter. Now a father-son procect requiring bullets, the white buffalo at Whittington with my old guns and his young eyes. The rifle is a TC Hawken in 45 with a factory venier tang sight and a Lyman globe in front. I am having difficulty finding off the shelf bullets in the right size. What do you recommend?

Is this a 15/16th barrel or 1"? I would like to get one for my lyman trade rifle. I'm thinking it's a 15/16th. I've use a tc drop in barrel on it for a replacement years ago.

Mine is 1” inch across the Flats. Rice does these Barrels in 15/16“ or 1” inch 👍

Your Lyman is likely 15/16” inch

The Old TC Hawken‘s in .45 & .50 Cal were all 15/16” inch, With the .54 TC Hawken being 1” inch, ALL TC Renegades were 1” inch

I recently discovered your youtube videos and found them both interesting and informative although I have always been a PRB shooter. Now a father-son procect requiring bullets, the white buffalo at Whittington with my old guns and his young eyes. The rifle is a TC Hawken in 45 with a factory venier tang sight and a Lyman globe in front. I am having difficulty finding off the shelf bullets in the right size. What do you recommend?

Is your .45 Cal Barrel the Stock/Factory TC Barrel?

That's some very impressive shooting, thank you for posting. I think it is beyond impressive that you could chuck a 600 gr. round nose lead bullet with that kind of acuracy, just Wow!

Yes. The only change from factory is the Lyman front sight.

Unfortunately you don’t have many options, The Stock 1:48 Twist Barrels will not Stabilize the Big long Bullets (1.450” or there very close abouts) That are needed to Shoot long Range, You really need at least a 1:18 Twist .45 Cal for that. With the right Bullet/Load Combo I believe 300 Yards is achievable with your Stock .45 Cal, 1:48 Twist, I have done it with Stock 1:48 Twist TC Barrels in .50 and .54 Cal.

As for Bullets, and availability for the 1:48 Twist? I really don’t know? I would contact someone like Dan of Bullshop Bullets, tell him what you have, and what you want to do? Dan should be able to help you. The 345-350 Grain Lyman Gould is an awesome Bullet, It shot very well for me in my TC 1:48 Twist .45 Hawken Barrel. Fact is, I haven’t done a lot with my Stock TC 1:48 Twist .45 Cal Rifle/Barrel. I have with the .50 & .54, but not the .45

Again, I would contact Dan & Tina of Bullshop Bullets and ask them what they have that should work well in the 1:48 Twist .45 Cal TC Hawken?

Their Email is- [email protected]
https://bullshop.weebly.com/bullets.html

Idaholewis, is there a way to order the bullet mold you designed from BACO or is it not available? I bought a renegade stock and have a order in with Rice. Don't want to step on any toes but it appears that the bullet design works for you. If it is available for purchase I would like to know the description. Thanks.

Idaholewis, is there a way to order the bullet mold you designed from BACO or is it not available? I bought a renegade stock and have a order in with Rice. Don't want to step on any toes but it appears that the bullet design works for you. If it is available for purchase I would like to know the description. Thanks.

This is it, I had this Grease Groove, and a Paper Patch Bullet made for the BIG 1:24 Twist .50 Cal, They both shoot equally well
https://www.buffaloarms.com/503-muzzleloading-mold-jim503610c1.html
This is my Paper Patch Bullet, .493 Diameter, 615 Grains Cast of 1-20 Alloy. This one is not listed on their website, But should be in their CAD Software
gJoEog7.jpg

AgFLvhR.jpg

The 615 Paper Patch Bullet in action at 750 Yards

I paid a visit over to see Lewis earlier in the month. He showed me the shooting position to the target position. Very cool shot set up for sure. I agree with even seeing the 3' target is a challenge in itself. On a total side note...Don't bring any cool factor guns with you. Probably wont leave with them!:doh:

I paid a visit over to see Lewis earlier in the month. He showed me the shooting position to the target position. Very cool shot set up for sure. I agree with even seeing the 3' target is a challenge in itself. On a total side note...Don't bring any cool factor guns with you. Probably wont leave with them!:doh:

Not to worry my Friend, The Ole Underhammer is in GOOD Hands here with me, It has become quite popular :D The #1 question i get asked is “Who was the Dummy that Sold it???” 😁

Back