• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Revolver timing

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Was having issues with an ASM 1851 Navy ( full cock notch) and although some judicious file work now has it staying cocked and seemingly shootable the trigger pull is just too light. I ordered a new hammer from DGW and it works fine, fits well as long as the cylinder is not in place. The hammer cam on the new hammer is smaller than the old one and does not make contact with the arms on the bolt before the hand starts to move the cylinder. I looked a pictures of new bolts and the all pretty much look the same as the one that's in the gun so I'd probably have the same issue. What's the fix for this?

I too have an ASM 1851 Navy and will be watching this post. What exactly do you mean when you say "the trigger is just too light"?

For trigger work, I use a 10X eye loupe and assess the engagement surfaces and angles. Sounds like the sear nose could be buggered; where it will hold, but lets off too easily, at least by my diagnosis via cyberspsce, and based upon what you’re telling us.

Someone could have ‘rounded’ what should have been a squared edge or angle on the tip of the sear. Look closer with even a good magnifying glass.

At best, engagement surfaces should have an ever so slight positive engagement, where pulling the trigger ‘almost’ wants to rock back the hammer before it falls. WORST is negative engagement, where the hammer is sliding forward as the sear moves; this is a highly DANGEROUS condition. Look up such pictures on-line, for guidance.

For trigger work, I use a 10X eye loupe and assess the engagement surfaces and angles. Sounds like the sear nose could be buggered; where it will hold, but lets off too easily, at least by my diagnosis via cyberspsce, and based upon what you’re telling us.

Someone could have ‘rounded’ what should have been a squared edge or angle on the tip of the sear. Look closer with even a good magnifying glass.

At best, engagement surfaces should have an ever so slight positive engagement, where pulling the trigger ‘almost’ wants to rock back the hammer before it falls. WORST is negative engagement, where the hammer is sliding forward as the sear moves; this is a highly DANGEROUS condition. Look up such pictures on-line, for guidance.

I understand that but what I want to do is fit the new hammer - since the cam is different on the new one, how do you adjust the timing?

You’d probbly have to replace the bolt or lengthen it. That is how bolts and hands on modern recolvers are fixed to correct timing issues. The ‘short’ or worn part is annealed, then lengthened (hammered), then fitted (cleaned up too) and re-hardened.

Latest posts

Back