• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Revolver photos

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the photo; so it can be carried fully loaded having a safety and I note the offset hammer making sighting easier.
Mr. Beattie put some thought into his design (I’d love to fire it).
the 1800's REICH REVOLVERS were equipped with a side safety also.

Bad Karma
I know this is not the place but I have to show you my latest find. Made between 1909 and 1912 making it at least 110 years old. H&R 2cnd variation large frame .38 S&W five shot. It was missing grips, I got repros for $25, and missing one coil spring for SA sear, I had in parts bin. Listed as non functional. Purchased on auction for $31.00, shipping and handling cost more than pistol. Repaired and shoots just fine. The holster cost more than revolver. A companion for my 1851 Pietta with Defender .38 S&W conversion kit.
a really nice top break revolver! glad you brought it! enjoy it.

it the old timers came back again and see what we have, they would die all over again!!!

Here are some of mine

Attachments

• C99008FD-357A-4BE0-B91A-3B0CD9DCF52A.jpeg
    C99008FD-357A-4BE0-B91A-3B0CD9DCF52A.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
The grips came with the gun. Factory issue, as far as I know, although I bought the gun used, so I am not sure.
My wife gave me one for Christmas back in the 1990s. They came with the full fluted cylinder and white grips. I believe mine came from The Sportsman's Guide and I don't think they were offered for long.

Another English revolver, a Webley "Longspur". What is rather unusual with this example is that the rammer is on the left hand side. I have found a few other examples all numbered in the 900s.

View attachment 169251View attachment 169252

The length of the backstrap is inscribed: "By Her Majesty's Royal Letters Patent"
View attachment 169253
This is what the late John Bell called the "shortspur longspur" ;-)
I have his Adams (M1851 type) revolving rifle which he left to me, and a number of "Longspurs". The idea of the LONG spur was that the revolver was normally used in the LEFT hand, as the "orficer" used a sword. Also heavy leather gloves required a good purchase on the hammer to cock it.

The relationship of Adams with Tranter were complicated with royalties being paid and Tranter manufacturing for Adams. I won't go any further as I would be bound to get something wrong.

This is an example of the 54 bore Tranter D/A.View attachment 169404View attachment 169405
Tony Taylerson called this the "4th Model" -- single trigger, FULL double action with the rammer screwed to the frame. The earlier models had removable rammers because your "man" would load the revolver ;-)

The only c&b revolvers that I have, the Tranter in .442 cal and the Remington Army (Uberti)
View attachment 169599View attachment 169600
and one that I no longer have, but really miss; the “Rugington”.
Strictly-speaking the ".442" refers to a CARTRIDGE revolver -- - yours is 54 BORE. I have several DUAL systems ones with two cylinders -- so that when you run out of "fixed ammunition" (Artillery terminolgy) in the Hindu Kush your man puts in the ML cylinder.

Tony Taylerson called this the "4th Model" -- single trigger, FULL double action with the rammer screwed to the frame. The earlier models had removable rammers because your "man" would load the revolver ;-)
As a much younger man, I had the pleasure of meeting Taylerson and showing him our collection. He was kind enough to inscribe my copies of his revolver books.

As a much younger man, I had the pleasure of meeting Taylerson and showing him our collection. He was kind enough to inscribe my copies of his revolver books.
If you get down to Bisley (assuming that Wee Krankie will allow you to cross the Sassenach border?) you are welcome to see what is left from my collection -- - sadly now down to about 100.
When Tony died his widow Felicia asked me to help with what remained. It was mainly documents and the ONLY revolver that he had kept was a 38bore Hollis & Sheath (X-suffix s.n.) with replacement butt. That is at present in Tony Cribb's next auction as I am thinning down to raise funds for when my partner Barbara has to go into care.
For the benefit of our Transatlantic friends, they might be amused why Scots snigger if I tell them one of my Ancestor's surnames --- CARSTAIRS. (Worth Googling what is in the town?)

Back