• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Revolver percussion caps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ordered my Navy from Taylor's in Dec. It's the only CB revolver I've ever handled. I only had #11s and 12s on hand. The 11s would just fall off the nipples. Slixshot web site said theirs would fit 11s. I had both CCI and Remingtons on hand. Both work fine.
Good deal I'll have to get those nipples. I bought my 1851 pietta 36 cal deluxe engraved white grips case harden steel frame on midway USA for 60 bucks cheaper then most other sites. And I researched midway after buying from them and they have bad reviews but I'm happy with what I got and came in mail fast too. Met a guy on this forum that's going to hook me up with cci 11 caps. Those probably aren't going to work on my stock nipples are they? I'm going to get them even if they don't work.

Good deal I'll have to get those nipples. I bought my 1851 pietta 36 cal deluxe engraved white grips case harden steel frame on midway USA for 60 bucks cheaper then most other sites. And I researched midway after buying from them and they have bad reviews but I'm happy with what I got and came in mail fast too. Met a guy on this forum that's going to hook me up with cci 11 caps. Those probably aren't going to work on my stock nipples are they? I'm going to get them even if they don't work.
The CCI caps run smaller than the Remingtons. CCI #11 caps are more like Remington #10's. CCI #10 caps work well with the smaller nipples some of the pistols came with. You can always pinch the #11 caps a little.

The CCI caps run smaller than the Remingtons. CCI #11 caps are more like Remington #10's. CCI #10 caps work well with the smaller nipples some of the pistols came with. You can always pinch the #11 caps a little.
Thank you for the info, that's good to know. I've done a good bit of research on caps recently but forget what I read at times. I found this pdf on a different gun forum. Muzzleloading is the only forum I'm a member on but I've been reading a lot of different forums for different info and opinions and I hope it's cool if I link this pdf. I found it interesting. It gives the diagrams on the different caps and sizes. And talks about how the Remington caps have a skirt on the bottom of them that fits snug around the bottom of the nipples better then the other caps. Check it out if you got a minute to read it and you and others may have already seen this. I'm not sure if its accurate, it appears to be. I'm new to this but maybe y'all can let me know if this info is correct.

Attachments

• Percussion-Caps-and-Nipples2.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 79
Thank you for the info, that's good to know. I've done a good bit of research on caps recently but forget what I read at times. I found this pdf on a different gun forum. Muzzleloading is the only forum I'm a member on but I've been reading a lot of different forums for different info and opinions and I hope it's cool if I link this pdf. I found it interesting. It gives the diagrams on the different caps and sizes. And talks about how the Remington caps have a skirt on the bottom of them that fits snug around the bottom of the nipples better then the other caps. Check it out if you got a minute to read it and you and others may have already seen this. I'm not sure if its accurate, it appears to be. I'm new to this but maybe y'all can let me know if this info is correct.
There are a couple of you Tube videos that go into detail on the differences between the types of caps. One guy demonstrates each caps on the nipples of various manufactures revolvers. Very informative. Go to You Tube and type in difference between CCI and Remington percussion caps.

There are a couple of you Tube videos that go into detail on the differences between the types of caps. One guy demonstrates each caps on the nipples of various manufactures revolvers. Very informative. Go to You Tube and type in difference between CCI and Remington percussion caps.
10-4, I'll check it out. I started out watching yt videos to educate myself and then I thought to my self, let me try to Google some stuff and see what I can get off the internet and I started finding the gun forums. I found a post from 2007 a couple weeks ago and I think it was on this forum. The guy was in south Africa and bought a riffle but the government didn't sell caps or he couldn't find them over there and he said now he knows why the black powder weapons were easily found over there bc they don't allow many caps to be sold. I thought it was funny but everyone started giving him ideas on what to do to slove his problem and that's when I first read about the cap making tool and the other nipples and I think someone linked magspark, I may have the name wrong but it was using a shotgun primary I believe and he then was able to shoot his gun. I need to read up on the post again to refresh my memory. I bookmark a lot of this stuff. What I was getting at though, I've found the most info from the different forums but yt has been good to.

"Jacobcp23" thanks for great attachment on caps
You're welcome. I did not write that pdf but found it on the internet. If you know the person who did or if they're on this forum maybe give them a shout out. It looks like it took some time to put that together. Looks from awhile ago and I found it on a public gun discussion site. I'm new to cap and ball shooting and just trying to share what I find.

Been using the Prime All. Bought it to feed my 1851. Had some trouble getting the mix right and uniform. That was me not Prime All. The aluminum caps look ugly but fit OK and flash fine. They rotate without falling off or jamming. After firing they do tend to 'hang on' a bit and I watch for that. Have not used them on a rifle as I use flinters or one of my inlines.

I've been told & read the same thing regarding slightly pinching the #11 caps to use on my ROA's #10 nipple. I haven't done that - yet, bc I still have around 60-70 #10 caps left. I can't find any more in stores & I'm NOT payin out the wahzoo for them online. So, I'll be pinchin some #11's very soon it looks like.

Latest posts

Back