• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Revolver percussion caps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacobcp23

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello. I'm new to black powder shooting. I recently purchased an 1851 pietta navy revolver, steel frame 36. I did not realize the trouble it would be to find percussion caps when I purchased. Doesn't matter, I'd still buy the gun if I have known. I absolutely love the gun. But if someone could please help and direct me to where I could find some, I'd appreciate you. I've seen some post of people selling the cap without primer and I'd be cool buying some of those off someone if anyone interested in selling. I don't know how to send a private message on here but did see wolfman may have some for sale. Thanks in advance for any help.

Hello. I'm new to black powder shooting. I recently purchased an 1851 pietta navy revolver, steel frame 36. I did not realize the trouble it would be to find percussion caps when I purchased. Doesn't matter, I'd still buy the gun if I have known. I absolutely love the gun. But if someone could please help and direct me to where I could find some, I'd appreciate you. I've seen some post of people selling the cap without primer and I'd be cool buying some of those off someone if anyone interested in selling. I don't know how to send a private message on here but did see wolfman may have some for sale. Thanks in advance for any help.
GunBroker. You will have to pay but you can get them.

Wolfman has been selling the empty cups. If he no longer does that,I can send you enough to last you a long while. When it comes to filling them the prime all from 22 reloader work the best. Some of the other ways don't work so good. This subject has been worked over a lot lately.
Heck yes, thank you. I spoke with a guy that lives close to me on this forum that may be able to hook me up with some cci. So I'm going to try to meet him and I'd rather just buy some without primer from one of y'all on here then buy that 22reloader tool. That tool looks great but I've researched it and may not get to my house for months. Id like to get a close look at the caps before I buy that tool if I decided to. I think I could make due without the tool and if it came to it make a hardwood tool to make the shape in the future. I know the subjects been worked over a lot but it's helped me. I've spent too much time researching caps. Found charts, a lot of videos of people showing what they're doing to make them. I've looked at conversion cylinders, the 22lr cylinder looked cool, come with little barrel and I don't think I would have to take cylinder off to load or open gap more to load but it cost about as much as I paid for the gun.

I too recently got a 51 Navy. I notice the factory nipples require #5 caps. I replaced them with Slixshots which take the much easier to find but still #11s.

Bighorserider, did you purchase the Pietta 1851? All my research has shown factory nipples to be either 10 or 11 depending on brand with most people saying Remington 11. Really most people say when you get the revolver first thing to do, take the nipples off and replace with new nipples that use 11 caps. I've seen a lot of good reviews for those Slixshots also. I may end up changing to those. I've had a very hard time finding caps in 10 or 11. I've found none. I found a site that had musket caps which had bad reviews and it looked like no one wanted that brand. There's an older gentleman on yt that does a few videos showing his wood design cap maker which looks easy to make and it looks to work well to make the caps.

That tool looks great but I've researched it and may not get to my house for months. Id like to get a close look at the caps before I buy that tool if I decided to. I think I could make due without the tool and if it came to it make a hardwood tool to make the shape in the future. I know the subjects been worked over a lot but it's helped me. I've spent too much time researching caps. Found charts, a lot of videos of people showing what they're doing to make them.
I had the same problem and I ordered the cap making tool a little over a month ago. I ordered on a Friday and it shipped on the next Tuesday. I had it here in about a week. That was a nice surprise! Now I've shot a few hundred of the caps and they are working great! I use the Prim-All but I don't use their hardener. That is working great.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bosley gun shop is on Gunbroker has #10 $150 per 1000 shipping and all included or you can google and call him direct He is legit I ordered and received mine very fast
He must have some supply of them as he has been selling them steadily for at least two weeks. What gets me is others are still bidding $35 plus shipping on other sellers's single tin CCI #10 cap offerings.

The company that sells prim all also sells cap makers in #10 & #11. I purchased the #10 cap maker and prime all. It worked great in my 1851 Colt Navy replica. My next test would be to see how well it will work with paper cartridges.

Bighorserider, did you purchase the Pietta 1851? All my research has shown factory nipples to be either 10 or 11 depending on brand with most people saying Remington 11. Really most people say when you get the revolver first thing to do, take the nipples off and replace with new nipples that use 11 caps. I've seen a lot of good reviews for those Slixshots also. I may end up changing to those. I've had a very hard time finding caps in 10 or 11. I've found none. I found a site that had musket caps which had bad reviews and it looked like no one wanted that brand. There's an older gentleman on yt that does a few videos showing his wood design cap maker which looks easy to make and it looks to work well to make the caps.
I ordered my Navy from Taylor's in Dec. It's the only CB revolver I've ever handled. I only had #11s and 12s on hand. The 11s would just fall off the nipples. Slixshot web site said theirs would fit 11s. I had both CCI and Remingtons on hand. Both work fine.

Latest posts

Back