• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

revolver nipples and .44 ball

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Can i put number 11 nipples on my 1860 Army Pietta Colt clone for a hotter ignition and more powerful charge or is that just wasting time?

Is the ball size in my .44 cal revolver the same ball and size that a .45 muzzle loading long gun uses?

In the past i remember seeing little pieces of hose cut and inserted around the cap on the nipple on the cylinder to help from hang up. Does that actually work? What size hose is it. Is there a better system for doing this?

It's my understanding that #11 vs #10 there is no difference in power unless you go with a more powerful cap like magnums. Beings the ignition is straight through, no advantage to it. No they are not the correct size RBs going from 45 pistol to 44 revolver. A revolver usually uses about a .454 ball but some like a little larger or smaller, only tying will tell. Kind of a rule of thumb is to get a tiny lead ring shaved from the ball when you press it into the cyl. I have no idea on the hose thing

do you know hose size so i can make some. if somebody here sells them please let me know.

You can buy them from the various muzzleloading dealers but it's just another expense specially with shipping. Put a cap or 2 in your pocket and go to your local hardware store, one that has an assortment of clear vinyl tubing, and find a size that works. A couple of feet and a razorblade, all you need. Buying quality aftermarket nipples and limiting your load size will help with the issue too. 20 to 25 grains of 3f is an accurate load and it makes smoke and noise too.

If you know someone who uses an oxygen concentrator or is prescribed O2, the supply tubing hoses are the right size and you'll have a lifetime supply with a single hose or two. They need to be replaced regularly so they will have plenty on hand to give you.

(Don't filch the hose they are using now please! :)

I tend to keep the revolvers primed and loaded for extended periods. The tubing keeps the caps from splitting and debris from jamming the cylinder when firing, and in the interim keeps moisture or rain out. They work excellent. They can be difficult to remove after firing, so don't be in a hurry to reload.

First of all, if you don't have a manual get on line, look up Pietta Colt 1860 Army manual, print it out & then READ IT! The Pietta 44 cal revolvers take a .454" diameter pure lead ball. It will also give you recommended loadings, like 28 grains of FFFg is the maximum charge!!! Usually the factory nipples don't provide a good fit with the caps, so get some quality stainless steel nipples for your Pietta that the #10 caps will fit properly on. TOTW has the proper nipples. Call their tech department if you are confused. Deburr & smooth up the front surface of your hammer so the caps won't stick to it when you cock it & fall in your revolver workings. The plastic tubes are kind of a waste of time, unless you like to fiddle with gadgets instead of shooting. Lots of tricks to prevent cap jams besides the tubes. Figuring out how to load without blowing up the gun or getting a chain fire would be a better use of your time than fiddling with the tubes, IMHO. These revolvers take some learning & tinkering with to get good reliable performance, but there is plenty of info here & elsewhere on line to help you through it. Good luck!

Last edited:
The way things are today you'll have more luck finding #10 caps than any pistol primer. Reloading components seem to be as scarce as hen's teeth....

Hi There Bobthemotorcycle,
All the cap does is ignite the powder charge. Magnum caps may be needed if you are shooting a synthetic propellant as they are harder to ignite otherwise a regular cap proper fitting will do the job..
Caps must be a tight fit on the nipple to prevent the dreaded CHAIN FIRE.
On my .44's I use a .451" ball with a "Mike Beliveau" type home made lubed felt wad and get a good tight seal. The .454" ball works just as well but is a bit harder to seat.
Before anyone starts a fight I have had thousands of .44's using .451" balls and as of yet had any troubles.
A cap rake ,which is a post in the hammer channel that keeps the spent cap from falling down into the hammer channel, is a worthwhile modification and works well with Slixshot nipples.
The little pieces of plastic hose seem to be a fiddily thing to use and there are easier ways to stop cap jams.
At least that is my experience for what it is worth.
Hold Center
Hit somewhere
Bunk

I used those little pieces of hose on a copy of the 1849 Colt Pocket Model with odd sized nipples that were nether 10,11, or 12 and I didn't want to squeeze the caps to fit. The little hose pieces held the caps tightly and no chain firing was experienced. The nipples are set deep in the cylinder and don't provide much purchase to remove so it was easier to just use hose than change out the nipples. I only to shoot it once or twice a year and just clean the cylinder good. I keep the nipples lubed so oil will keep creeping into the threads and keep them free if the owner after I'm gone wants them changed.

Latest posts

Back