• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Revolver Loads and a question for Walker shooters

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just picked up the latest copy of "Guns of the Old West". There's a story about the guns from "Lonesome Dove". It says
Gus used a Colt 1st model Dragoon. Now, I recall him using a Walker in every scene, and he clearly is using one when whacks that surly bartender. Is my age showing here or does the article have it wrong?

I guess if you wanted to stretch a point, the walker was a Dragoon and it was the first-even though it wasn't a first model Dragoon. I remember it being a walker too.

This Uberti Dragoon is getting funner and funner all the time. I've got it hitting close to the sights now and have done away with the loading lever dropping down. The odd think I did was pinch the frame to tighten it up and keep it from dropping all the way down. The normal thing was to deepen the notch in the barrel stud a little at a time. It looks like I've finally gotten it right. Today, I shot 50 grains fffg and the volume equivalent of 45 Pyrodex P and it stayed up.
I did this with the Pyrodex load that is going a bit over 1,000 fps
dragoonhead.jpg

I don't do much if any better with an N-Frame Smith-except for my 8 3/8" 29-2. This sort of cluster happens pretty often. I may be too easy to satisfy but It's good enough to make me real happy.

Well, the Walker is a Dragoon, but it isn't the Dragoon used in the mini-series. The article claims to be about the guns actually used in the show. The other guns are a Henry and a '72 Open Top. I'll admit that I favor the Walker, but given its rare screen appearences, I feel it should not be cheated out of a credit by its baby brother. Seriously, Mec,
I just like having the facts straight--I know it is nitpicking. I'm pretty fond of my Dragoons, too.

I understand completely. It is kind of out there for somebody to write about the "Guns of Lonesome Dove" and get the neatest revolver in the whole thing wrong. I kind of like the Mitchner Texas thing where Ricky Schroder used a Paterson.

I'm not even going to try to knock a whiskey glass out of the air with a walker.

If I have photographs in my computer, and I want to put them on the forum, is it possible to do so? I have a digital camera but no scanner.

You need a photo host to upload them. I used a search engine and found[url] Imagecave.com[/url]. They upload the pictures and give you several address types to use for posting
this one uses the img tag. I'll try to write it here but it may only show a wierd symble.

First lower case

If you use imagecave and some others you can just highlight and copy the whole thing img tags and all.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can go to Photobucket and join. It's free and no hassles. They also are great at helping you if you have a problem with their site.
Click here to be zapped to their site.

Photobucket site

Register with them and you will have a place ot download your photos to.
Then copy the URL which is below your downloaded picture and paste it into the image box (found right below where your typing when you make a post).

I suspect that any and all purchases will help. I fully expect to loose money on this one.

I suspect that any and all purchases will help. I fully expect to loose money on this one.

at least you know what you're getting into....

hopefully it's going to be fun...

rayb

that's the main point-fun and staying off the streets. The great and noble purpose is to write something useful on the subject without the constraints of the industry. From what Ive seen, all the muzzle loading /revolver books and magazine articles are written by one or two people closely associated with the industry. You can read all the books without finding out about brittle springs, absent quality control and the need to be a gunsmith-in-training.

It'll have sections on dismantling the Colt Patersons and the Lemat which might make it worthwhile for some people.

Back