• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Revolver Loads and a question for Walker shooters

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mec

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I just looked at the Lyman Muzzle Loader book from 2001. They recorded velocities that are close to what I've been getting with similar but not exact loads
1858loads.jpg

coltarmyloads.jpg

dragoonloads.jpg

Most of the industry books dealing with caplock loads indicate maximum charges of 55 grains for the Walker and 45 Grains for the Dragoon models. Others- chiefly magazine writers claim that the Walker will hold 60 grains of Black powder and the Dragoon will hold " a full 50 grains."

I'm curious to know if anybody here has a Walker that will actually allow loading 60 grains of black powder (not pyrodex or other substitute) over a ball or a Dragoon that will hold 50 grains and a ball.

The ones I handle top out at 55 and 45 respectively and any attempt to load heavier leave ball sticking out of the cylinder-even under maximum crunch. Unless somebody tells me different, I will believe that the gunwriters in question have not actually shot the guns.

Mec, I have a Uberti Walker that I routinely stuff wih 60 grains of GOEX fffg. I don't use an over powder wad and I'm using a ball, not a conical. This is 60 grains by volume, however, not weighed. The ball seats with little effort. My Colts will handle the same load. I don't experience the dreaded lever drop that you hear about, but a friend that I shoot with regularly has it happen with every shot.

Just for the record, only Uberti and Colt Walkers will hold 60 grains since they are made with full-sized chambers. These Walkers use a .457" ball. :results:Nearly all the other Walkers have chambers small enough to use .451" balls. Since Uberti made the individual parts for the Colt guns, the cylinders are identical. Now, these two guns will hold 60 grains but you'll find the accuracy loads will be around 40 grains. I've filled the chambers of a Uberti with all the FFFFg it'd hold and still mash down a ball. Roared like a howitzer but 4 plus pounds of steel soaks up a lot of the recoil. A lot of revolver shooters use a filler on top of a lower charge of powder to keep the ball up near the cylinder face. I've used two powder flasks. One throwing 40 grains of FFg and the other 20 grains of corn muffin mix. Some folks use corn meal or Cream-Of-Wheat but have found the corn muffin mix compresses better and is less abrasive. Good luck.

Corn muffin mix!!!!!!!!!!!

Put a bit of milk in with the load, fire the shot then you should have small muffins. Hard to find in the bush I imagine. :crackup:

Cheers from down under
Aussie Bob

And if you use a little BORE BUTTER, they are already to go. :: Just fire them into a bees hive and you got musket muffins and honey. :crackup:

somebody here is fixated on food. Good reason, I suppose. So many food products associated with this activity. Crisco(they have it in butter flavor now), cream of wheat, corn meal- not to mention the scent of post-prandial flatulence hanging on the breeze.

REBEL AND AUSSIE BOB- you guys just kill me! laughing so hard I thought I was going to pee my pants, but instead just spit coffee all over my key board. Respectfully montanadan( who is now dryng out his key board).

Glad we could be of some service to ya. Now if ya just had some of them musket muffins to go with that coffee. ::

REBEL-Thanks for the good laugh. Now if we could get you and AUSSIE BOB on late night T.V., or perhaps cooking with REBEL and AUSSIE BOB. At least no one would say it was boring...Thanks guys...Respectfully Montanadan

MEC- Thanks again for another great and informative post. You should do articles for gun mags(if you don`t already),at least it would be honest, as well as informative. Respectfully Montanadan...P.S..I hope you did not take offense to the food thing at the end of your post.

I'm not a real gunwriter but I did play one in the gun magazines for several years. Thanks for the good words. Here's a secret:
Just as a way of staying out of trouble and off the streets, me and this other guy are compiling a book about Caplock pistols and revolvers. It will be published at our expense with no ties to the industry.
Thanks!

MEC-Good news about the book! I for one will buy it, thanks again for all the information you have passed along. Respectfully Montanadan.

It will look familiar to people who read these forums. Some of my posts are test flags to see what people pick up on. It looks like if I mention a specific revolver, there is quite a bit of interest. Single shots arn't near as much of a draw and digging up a can of antique powder and checking it out got about half a yawn.

I'm also listening to what people say about their experience with guns and accessories from different manufacturers.

MEC- I read your post about the Pedersoli LePage, I would dissagree that the Lyman pistol shoots as well as the LePage. Then again I am not you, and I would have to admit the Lyman groups were very good.I had to tease you a lttle about an older post. Did you read the post What black powder pistol? I noticed that the majority of Pistols were actually Cap-n-Ball Revolvers. I was suprised, alot of shooters here do some kind of re-enacting, I would have guessed there would have been more single shot pistols. Me I just shoot CAS(part time)Front stuffers the other. I hope your book covers them all(maybe some cartridge conversions?)but not past 1872 that`s way over done now. Lately I have been able to get everyone at our club to drag out there pistols, everyone owns one. Nobody seems to bring them, I find that sort of amusing. Well I have rambled on enough. Best wishes..Respectfully Montanadan

I am surprised too that the Lyman shoots as well or almost as well as the LePage. Shouldn't work that way. There's something about those muzzle heavy single shots though. the lyman doesn't have near the trigger that the LePage does but it hangs on target until you finally get it yanked.

I started out with a fairly big mistrust of the c&b revolvers coming out of years of busted trigger return springs and other signs of cheapness. Now thought, I've really gotten into them. The Uberti People are finally heat treating their parts and making spares available. Much more fun than in the past.

We are covering a fair sampling of single shots- from an original Aston Johnson , an ardesa, the LePage, the lyman, a screw barrel derringer so far I saw one guy at a North South inactment with a flintlock martial pistol in his belt.

Single shots arn't near as much of a draw and digging up a can of antique powder and checking it out got about half a yawn.
I'm also listening to what people say about their experience with guns and accessories from different manufacturers.
MEC,
Unlucky for me to read that. I often dont open a thread on American revolvers. But if I see one on English revolvers or single-shots pistols my interest is up. Seems to be in a minority. Your project seems highly interesting though.
Regards,
ARILAR :: :thumbsup:

MEC- The Uberti/Pietta difference is amazing to me. I just bought 61 Uberti 36 cal, probably the best work I have seen (personally)out of Uberti.Locks up tight,No End Shake, clean crisp trigger. Maybe I just got lucky? Tell you a little story bought a Traditions Crockett pistol 32cal. Worst trigger on the planet(BAR-NUN) took it apart 4hrs later had the sweetest trigger(almost as good as LePage,I can say that I own one) went and shot it not bad. Last saturday went to our local shoot everyone made fun of my little Crockett pistol(like they do here) I shot a honest 98 at 25 yds. won the pistol match. I ordered a Traditions Pioneer pistol in .45 cal, because now I have to beat a Charles Moore. He says I have to shoot a 45 cal. I have never shot a 98 with a front stuffer ever in my life, but this little crockett is kinda barrel heavy just points good. so I have to beleive you about the Lyman`s, the Crockett pistol with freight was 127.00. I have a total of 133.00(in it), and I think Traditions has quit making them? I love to shoot pistols more than rifles, but I am getting old, the eyes are not as good as they once were. I have never shot a 98 with or without my Le Page..Probably never will again. Everyone at our club shot this pistol and now everyone likes it. Funny how things work out...I really do know why the trigger was that bad.. more lawyer stuff. Best wishes with your book...maybe a little something for everone.I remember when you were lucky to get cylinder full, through a CB pistol without something breaking. Best wishes... Respectfully Montanadan

Myself and my partner on this project ( who has always had better luck with revolver parts than I have)have gotten quite a few Uberti revolvers made in 2003&4. Some have required minor tinkering for best function but most have had perfectly time actions and good triggers. Also, the chamber/bore measurements are right for accuracy.

There is a rumor that Pietta has improved but I have not had much luck proving that. They give inaccurate answers to e-mail questions-or don't answer at all, and are not near as forthcomming with spare parts as the Uberti/Cimarron/Uberti USA axis. I've shot a couple of their LeMats and, aside from original design glitches, they are quality revolvers. I believe they can put out a good gun when they want to.

That Traditions Pistol of yours probably came from Ardesa in Spain. CVA used to carry a bunch of them but the variety coming into this country has shrunk. One time, I build up a CVA Mountain Pistol from a kit. Not at all expensive but it was an accurate gun. We have one of their belt/overcoat sized pistols in .44 that is nice and accurate.

Alright. I've been listening to you guys. I don't know what I did before but this time managed to get 50 grains of fffg in under the ball and it was easy. Cold day velocities averaged 980 with 37 fps spread over five. This is a good jump past what I got with 45 grains on a warmer day. Also modified the picture of dragoon loads above.

Back