• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

revolver accuracy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hou5ton

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm considering getting back into black powder after MANY years .... (about 30 since I last messed with it), and am just curious as to how accurate one can expect a BP revolver to shoot. I'm talking benchrest groups at say, 25 yards. For some reason, I have it in my head it would be fun to squirrel hunt with one. :)

Any thoughts?

thanks,
larry

Depends on the revolver. I have seen 1858 Remingtons as accurate as a modern "sport" revolvers. Some are marketed now with adjustable sights. I had a Ruger Old Army that would do 1-1/4" at 25 yards right at the point of aim.

Colt clones shoot WAY high of the sights, but can be corrected with effort.

You get what you pay for. I have a $100 Pietta that shoots like a $100 pistol (shaves lead and is out of time).

I can't atest to other B.P.revolvers,but the Ruger Old Army will make the bullseye dissapear at 25 yards from a rest.I now have a 1860 Colt reproduction in .44cal but havn;t really wrung it out yet.Because the Ruger had first class target sights,and the Colt has only a notch in the hammer,I don't expect to have as good a group.But I think I could hit a squirrel fairly regular with practice. :thumbsup:

I've had an 1858 for years. It was abused by the previous owner but still shoots very acceptable groups at 25 yards, though point of impact is a good 9" high. The steel models I've seen advertised are still a good buy, IMO. Would recommend getting a second cylinder if you go this route as the 1858 is a breeze so far as changing out the empty one is concerned.

Out of a large number of C&B pistols I own, only 3 shoot with what I would call good accuracy.
These pistols are older Italian guns.
The best shooting is a Uberty 1861 Colt Army .44,
a Navy Arms (made by ?) Rogers & Spencer .44 and a CVA 1847 Walker .44. Each of these is capable of 1 1/2 inch groups at 25 yards.
I find it interesting to note, two of these guns are the "open top" Colt design.

All three of these guns share a common condition. The size of the chambers are all between .001 to .004 larger than the groove diameter in the barrel.

Of the pistols I own which are not as accurate, the chambers are from .000 to .003 smaller than the groove diameter of their respective barrels.

This undersize chamber sizing (or oversize barrel grooves?) seems to be a common trait among the guns recently manufactured.
I was told that chamber sizes like this are the manufacturs way of assuring a tight fit of the ball. Why the barrel grooves are larger than the chamber size, I cannot say but it sure doesn't help accuracy.

One of the common "fixes" to give C&B guns target accuracy is to hone out the cylinders chambers so that they are about .002 larger than the barrels groove diameter.
IMO this is rather safe in the .36 cal guns because they have a lot of wall thickness between the chambers and between the chambers and the outside of the cylinder.
In the .44s there is very little wall present so the idea of reducing it to accomodate an increase in chamber diameter has its risks.

Another thing to consider if enlarging the chambers is being considered is the barrel groove diameter.
In the case of my .36 cal Remington Navy, the groove size is .373. The chambers measure .372-.373.
If I were to hone the chambers to .374-.375 to provide a good fit with the barrel, they would be the same as the standard .36 caliber ball (.375). This of course would not be oversize enough to assure a tight fit of the ball in the chamber.

In the case of the .44s, there are the .457 diameter balls available (which the Ruger likes), so honing the chambers is practical, although as mentioned, not without its dangers.

I'm not the best pistolier but my cap n' ball guns all shoot as well as any modern revolver I've shot. Course, my skills being what they are I keep ranges at about 15 yards.

Don

My Army seems to be the most accurate percussion revolver I have. The 58 Remington (both Uberti) is close and may be just as good. This group is at 50 feet. I don't shoot the caplocks quite as well as modern target revolvers - more like the general run of service revolvers and autos. the relatively crude sights have to make a difference-at least for me.
451bench.jpg

Back