• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Revolutionary War Era German Flintlock Jaeger Rifle | Rare Original Hessian Muzzleloader

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score

Did this Jaeger see Hessian Use during the American Revolutionary War? It's a question many of us are left wondering after seeing this piece in person. It has all the attributes, even a rarely seen sword-bayonet mount at the muzzle. If only this rifle could talk...

This German Jaeger rifle is visually similar to examples attributed as having been used by Hessians during the Revolutionary War.

I haven’t seen many of these old guns, but I love the flip up sight. Is there anything on the market today similar?

I haven’t seen many of these old guns, but I love the flip up sight. Is there anything on the market today similar?

Yes, type in 2 leaf express sight to the google machine. One of those express sights would be amazing on the ole kibler 58! Say a 50-100-150 zero! Thanks for the brain jog! I may be looking into something like that! As long as it didn’t look out of place all you would really have to do is open the rear sight dovetail.

Yes, type in 2 leaf express sight to the google machine. One of those express sights would be amazing on the ole kibler 58! Say a 50-100-150 zero! Thanks for the brain jog! I may be looking into something like that! As long as it didn’t look out of place all you would really have to do is open the rear sight dovetail.
I have a Kibler .58 I was just thinking it would look nice on 😂

Did this Jaeger see Hessian Use during the American Revolutionary War? It's a question many of us are left wondering after seeing this piece in person. It has all the attributes, even a rarely seen sword-bayonet mount at the muzzle. If only this rifle could talk...

This German Jaeger rifle is visually similar to examples attributed as having been used by Hessians during the Revolutionary War.

Nice rifle , but is it Military issue ? . I have been reading up on these rifles as used by German troops in the American war in a most excellent book by De Witt Bailey , called British Military Flintlock Rifles 1740-1840 .
The rifles were made to a pattern ,and the things I see as different are the ramrod end , there is no brass thumb plate , where the German Principality's marks were engraved , also the side plate is all wrong ,it should look more like a Bess side plate , there is no name on the lock , no trefoil finials at each end of the trigger guard ,no middle ramrod pipe , and no tear drops have been carved into the stock behind the lock and side plate
. Overall the rifle looks like the ones used by the Hess-Hanau Freicorps 1780 , made by Schwalbach in Hanau . The Freicorps were the only Germans to carry bayonets in the American war . Maybe it was made up out of spare parts ? A lovely rifle non the less .

Nice Jaeger. I would say it's a typical military Jaeger from the last half of the 18th. The bayonet lug for the saber bayonet I would say was a later addition. Very cool rifle!

I built a Jaegar several years ago. I use the term "American Jaegar", since I used curly maple for the stock. It does have a swamped barrel and attachments for a sling. This piece was done in .50 calibre. I did this as what I visualize as a German buchsenmacher would have made, shortly after arriving in this country and setting up a shop.
IMG_1439.jpg

Back