Revolutionary War Ancestors

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

ThePatriot

32 Cal
Reaction score
You need to join the Sons of the American Revolution. Check to see if there is a chapter near you. Most chapters have someone who will help you verify your lineage and help put your application together. It is stringent. Every generation between yourself and the Patriot must be verified. I'm a member of the Tennessee Valley Chapter in Huntsville, AL.

I am a member right now I joined this year :) I am in Guildford Courthouse chapter! I don't know when there next meeting is yet though. I had to use my moms side they all fought in the war. My dads side did not get to fight though. Even though they where here in that time in Beaufort NC.

kyle_kalasnik

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I have a few direct ancestors from the Lipford, Pridemore, and Nichols lines that I have identified.

Working on other family tree branches now, and starting to hit a wall.

I love genealogy. I find it very interesting, especially when a 5x great grandfather crossed the Deleware and was at Saratoga.

Belleville

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I can identify 12 ancestors, so far, who participated in the American Revolution. My wife also has several.

The SAR is not very active here so never looked into it.

Doc S.

zimmerstutzen

70 Cal.
Reaction score
It has been 9 or 10 generations since the revolutionary war era ancestors were born. that means, absent some "crossed branches of the tree" 512 GGGGGGGgrandparents in that one generation. 256 men. Considering that some of the older generation may have fought that adds 512 more male ancestors. Odds of having at least one ancestors who fought in the Revolutionary war would be pretty high for many people whose families came early. I have both Revolutionary War and Civil war veterans on both sides of the tree. But it seems only a few on my mother's side actively sought membership in the DAR/SAR. And that side contains a large percentage of Mennonites and Quakers who sat out the war. There were also other notable ancestors. Gerhardt Hendricks in 1690's Philadelphia, with a few other Quakers, lobbied the council to have the colony outlaw slavery. Two of his grandsons went on to be mayor's of Philadelphia. Another relative was on a ship that ran out of food on the passage across the Atlantic and some of the passengers mutinied and took over the ship, forcing it to land in New Jersey and when threatened with arrest there, the ship continued on to Philadelphia where the leaders were treated less harshly, but still arrested.. One ancestor's husband died in the crossing and was buried at sea. She married another passenger the day the ship was allowed to land in Philadelphia and her new husband adopted her children. Another was the Patriarch of the Angstadt family of Gunsmiths in Berks county, PA.

Nameless Hunter

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
a trebuchet defended holler near Nameless, TN
One of my GGGG Grandfathers was a POW on a British ship off SC. The other was a Swiss immigrant Captain in the SC militia who made gunpowder for the SC Rebels and owned two cannons, which were used to successfully force the surrender of a British fort in central SC. Didn't know about the 2nd one until recently. There was a "halfway" decent movie made about him.

Are. M.

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
My great x5 grandfather was Willis W McCoy. The son of scottish immigrants who saw the writing on the wall before the Jacobite revolt in the 1740s and booked it to Craven County, NC. He was a member of the home guard there and served in the "troop horse."

His brother was a loyalist and it PO'd Wills so much we changed our last name to Mecoy for a couple of generations.

RM

zimmerstutzen

70 Cal.
Reaction score
My great x5 grandfather was Willis W McCoy. The son of scottish immigrants who saw the writing on the wall before the Jacobite revolt in the 1740s and booked it to Craven County, NC. He was a member of the home guard there and served in the "troop horse."

His brother was a loyalist and it PO'd Wills so much we changed our last name to Mecoy for a couple of generations.

RM
As the conflicts with the French and Indians appeared to be more certain, the ruling council of Pennsylvania realized that they were in trouble. Lancaster County had been settled out to the frontier with Mennonites and Amish and Quakers who would not fight. So they enticed Scotch Irish with promises of cheap land to create a buffer between the frontier and the pacifists in Lancaster County. The bulk of them came between 1720 and 1746. Eastern York County was settled by many Scotch Irish. One was a teamster named Flaharty. It was rumored that he had several wives at various points along the route from York, PA To Bel Air Maryland. It is also reported that he had over 30 children by the time he died.

Reaction score
Not a ancestor but there is a Lt. Col. think that is his rank, buried in a church yard not far from where I live. Next time I get that way will stop and check the head stone for the particulars.

bud in pa

40 Cal.
Reaction score
According to what I could find on the internet my great grandmother was a member of the Drum family. There is a village outside of Hazelton PA founded by them. One of the family actually served under Washington in the AWI. I do know that they were pretty rich, and as usual I missed out again.:dunno:

Artificer

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Two brothers on my mother's side were Hessian soldiers. Stayed, and became farmers after the war. Father's side were from Spotsylvania , Va. (played part in American C W), fought with patriots. One, for sure, fought at Yorktown.
RB,

Do you know which unit your Spotsylvanian Ancestor was in and where he was buried?

Gus

William Lincoln

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Keep in mind millions of Americans who appear to be white or black
carry Native American blood to some degree. Women were rare on
the frontier, and many a Native American woman was drafted into the
wife corps. Americans are not all 100% immigrants. Remember for
millions of Americans they have Native American blood sharing their
veins. Americans are Americans, nothing quite like them.

Artificer

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not sure, but I think it might be in the family history. I'll check, and let you know.
If he was buried in one of the military cemeteries, even if he survived the War, my re-enactment group back in the 1980's most likely fired a salute over him and his Brothers in Arms on Memorial Days in those years. There is also a chance he may have served in the original Confederate Unit we re-enacted in those years, because we had lads from Spotsylvania in our Regiment and Company.

Gus

Artificer

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Well, the Hatfields and McCoys were just pikers compared to how long my family holds a blood feud.

My first ancestor in America fought in the earliest uprising against King George............but it was King George I.

His grandchildren and kin heard there was another chance to fight King George, so they did, but this was King George III in the AWI.

Some of his Great Grand Children and Kin heard there was another chance to fight King George, and yes this was King George III again, in the War of 1812.

It may have been a good thing King George IV never got frisky over here, as they may/probably have been glad to fight another King George. The family luck at surviving wars against Kings George may have run out. Grin.

Gus