• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Reviving/Treating 1850's Dry Walnut Stock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a 1850's New England rifle here with a very dry, open pored, walnut stock.

What is the best possible way to preserve and protect the stock without refinishing it?

Is this going to be a well earned retirement preservation with a gig over the mantel, or are you looking for protection for taking it out and using in the field. A few photographs would help.

I have a 1850's New England rifle here with a very dry, open pored, walnut stock.

What is the best possible way to preserve and protect the stock without refinishing it?
Nope, this will be a using gun. And I will not "refinish it".
I am not an expert, but interested in learning. First thing I would do if it were my gun would be to figure out what the original finish was. Shellac? Lacquer? Oil finish? ??? Then I would research how to preserve the particular gun’s finish for use as a ‘using gun’. Again, clear photographs of what you have may help.

Hope some experts jump in here. If you can, disassemble completely. Put stock in a mineral oil soak and leave for about one month. Or, you can use one of "secret" formulas put out be several companies. Mainly, just beeswax dissolved in naptha, mineral spirits or a few other things. That would be my choice.

I revived a 1870 rolling block stock by rubbing with lacquer thinner on paper towels. Change towels as they become soiled then let the stock air dry. Cut B/C Tru-Oil with lacquer thinner about 25% and rub on lightly by hand. a few coats will get a nice sheen and make the wood look more alive.

This is a tough one:(. Since we can't see it or know what condition the wood is in I can only speculate on a fix so here are my thoughts. I would not soak the wood in any type of oil as this will break down the wood fibers and make the wood "punky". Cleaning the stock surface is a good start. Once cleaned then a surface conditioner like Phil Coffins suggested is good. Also a thinned wax applied to the surface over a period of time so that it can flow into the pores of the wood might work. As I first stated this is not an easy fix although at first it sounds like it is. You might look for a wood restorer that does old furniture and ask for there advise - good luck.

Do not sand it. I would not flood with BLO or other non drying oil. It is probably oil soaked in areas already. Wood can not need to be "feed" to make it stronger. Old, dry, and brittle can not be fixed by any ordinary means.

If it is strong enough for use, I would probably wax it. It depend on how bad it is. I might gently clean with murphy's oil soap.

Renaissance Wax is used by many museum curators.

Possibly, make up some slackum, 1/3 each of bee's wax, BLO, and turpentine. I add some black depending on the goal. That can be bone black, or black iron oxide, or fireplace soot. This stuff has enough body to fill the grain.

Pictures would help.

going to make a suggestion here, Homer Formbys makes a product called antique furniture restorer,not knowing the condition of your stock, I will add I used it on a un-mentiionable fox double barrel shotgun with good results. The product is wiped on over the original finish cleans,restores and leaves a nice not shiney finish to the wood, Had to do it about 4 times but the effort was worth it.

Interesting thread. OP doesn’t want to refinish their 1850s stock. OP will not or lacks technical skill to post actual photographs of what they have. No one knows the actual condition of the stock except for what the OP states. No one knows what kind of finish happens to be on the stock, or if it is original to the 1850s. Yet folks seem to be able to offer specific recommendations of how to preserve the OP’s stock. Quite amazing.

i do not think its amazing the guy ask for suggestions and has recieved a few, I do agree a couple pictures woud maybe help, but perhaps he is like me when it comes to posting pics. Not very good on figuring out how to do it. There is more that one way to skin a cat and everyone has opinions.

Suggestions were asked for and suggestions were given - enough said:rolleyes:

Well said, Zug.

Many thanks to you all. I think the issue comes down to either adding oil OR simply waxing it with Renaissance Wax, which I do have. Although I will take a look at all the products that have been mentioned.

Tried to capture the stock via a photo, but the pics just don't provide the right perspective of grain condition.

Thanks again you wonderful guys.

Having done quite a bit of stock refinishing over the last 30 years, some stocks should not be refinished, but should be cleaned and rejuvenated instead, thus preserving as much of the original finish as possible. For that I would recommend Kramer's Best Antique Improver. Its ingredients contain no petrochemicals, silicones or other harmful modern ingredients. It restores natural oils and waxes to clean and preserve the existing finish. Old wood looks fresh and alive again! No, I have no affiliation with Kramer's, it's just a great product!

Back