• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Reviewing tool purchase

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bucky182

36 Cl.
Reaction score
bought what turns out to be 22 files from a retired man who did wood working but was no longer doing wood working. Gave him 10.00 for all (His Price) looking through them I can identify 1 Nicholson Rasp in great shape and 1 Nicholson 3 sided file and two Arcade files which I think where purchased by Nicholson along time ago. Then some off brands I can't find like Holson, Electric City, Johnson and Robt. J no matter what think that was a good haul.

Heck yeah and they are probably the old Nicholson's which are supposed to be much better quality. You have plenty of files, now need some quality chisels.
I had one file and about 3 crappy chisels before I started this rabbit hole. I don't know how many I have of either now and I don't have very many compared to most here...

Yard and estate sales can be your best source of good tools. I'm a wood turner. My best turning tools were bought from an estate for $5.00 each. I much prefer these over the $100.00 each famous name ones of current manufacture.

A cheap way to go on chisels is Harbor Freight. Most are unusable as bought but They can be reground and shaped to suit gun building needs and have served me well on nine rifles I have built. Also keep an eye on Flea Bay, I have bought a few nice ones there for cheap. I have also made chisels from old flies, saw blades and concrete nails.
You don't need a bunch of chisels, you will find that you will use the same four or five chisels most of the time.
It cannot be overstated the importance of sharp tools.The secret to doing clean inletting is learning how to keep your tools razor sharp. I use and recommend the Scary sharp system, Google it.

Guys thank you so much. I have got so much help in the past couple of weeks it is unbelievable. I just hope some day I can pass on some of the knowledge and advice you all have given to me.

A cheap way to go on chisels is Harbor Freight.

Even though I buy quite a bit of stuff from HF I won't buy chisels. I learned long ago that the El Cheapo chisels, from any vendor, can be dangerous to use. Reason is, most of them have very short tangs and use soft wood for the handles. In use, with pressure that tang can break through the handle and do damage to the user. I lucked out a couple times when that happened to me. No injury but about a dozen chisels went into the trash with no regrets. My advice is to stay with quality brands only.

I wholeheartedly agree Rifleman, If one does not possess the skills, imagination and and the ability to think outside the box or is blessed with an unlimited tool budget you should probably stick to buying expensive pre ground ready to go chisels
HF chisels modified to suit my needs have proved to be more than adequate for the relative light carving and inletting required for stocking a rifle. Notice I said modified, as purchased, they are unsuitable for this type of work, think of them as chisel blanks with useable handles.
The purpose of my original post was meant to encourage wanna be gun builders who think that they need a bunch of expensive tools to get started, it is simply not true.
Making your own tools is not only inexpensive it sometimes is the only way to get the right tool. This especially applies to chisels.
My approach to gun building is probably not for everyone, I never buy anything I can make myself, leaves more cash for barrels, locks and nice wood.

OK got them all cleaned up. 22 of them for 10.00 used vinegar but that was slow and not getting a lot of the rust and crud off. Prior to Vinegar I scrubbed them by hand in hot water and dawn soap. I then put them in a 50/50 solution of Muratic acid and water. Soaked them over night and scrubbed again in hot water and dawn. They look brand new!!! Just put a light coat of penetrating oil. After cleaning them up I found 6 made in the USA Nicholson and two Arcade brand which was bought out by Nicholson a long time ago. Not bad for 10.00 or .45 cents each.

Even though I buy quite a bit of stuff from HF I won't buy chisels.

I buy these for not fine work, but to fabricate into inletting tools and scrapers. They can be tempered into a fairly good steel. Surprisingly, some good chisels have come out of the batch, however I modified the handles to my liking, but I do that to the more expensive tools also. The important thing about a flat chisel it should be flat on the back side and even the more expensive flat chisels need attention in this area.

I buy old flat bladed screw drivers of various sizes inexpensively at garage sales and pawn shops. They generally have pretty good steel in them and can be heated and bent/ground/reshaped to suit and sharpen up into dandy scrapers, wood turning tools and chisels. I have even case hardened some to help them hold their edges longer. The handles and shanks are often are good quality too and can take some pounding from a hammer or mallet. Some I have used for 15 to 20 years now.

Back