• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Reverse Inletting......

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Appalachian

Feral American
Reaction score
As in making metal fit the wood, not making the wood fit metal.

The L&R rock lock fits the Large Siler inlet internally fairly well, but the plate profiles don't quite match exactly.

I had to grind around the front of the plate slightly, and had to add a good bit of metal around the back to avoid a gap top and bottom. Then recreate the bevel all the way around.

Who's nuts enough to break out the MiG welder on a $200 lock plate? I guess, me.

Success, I now have a switch ignition long rifle.......

Screenshot_20220712-173117_Gallery.jpg

What trigger guard is that?
Well, that's a whole 'nuther story. It was ordered from Track several months ago as a "Carolina" style guard. I just ordered another one that I thought would be an exact copy of it, same part number, etc, and got one just yesterday that's narrower and shorter. Same basic shape but the finger loop is WAY narrower and the rear finger space is only like two fingers long. Wanted the exact same one on a .62 cal smoothbore fowler build I'm going to do this winter.

I dunno if they have different vendors bringing in parts or what. Not the first time I've got two different things from them but it's usually the wrong part in the right bag. These are similar like I said but definitely not the same. I'm gonna call em and sort it out. This second "Carolina" won't cut it for my big meat hooks.

Screenshot_20220712-220036_Gallery.jpg

Lately ive seen a lot of folks using flux core MIG…. Looks terrible all those dingle berries.

I've burned a LOT of gas shielded flux core MiG with a union card in my pocket.

Tube/fin/tube burner pannels and end cap to header joints for steam generated electric power station components mostly for the Tennessee Valley Authority, tree harvester crawler tracks and turret frames for John Deere IIRC (maybe that was spray arc, can't remember but it was 10 hour shifts for months burning MiG wire), 80 foot tall screw jack damper doors for some huge power plant in Indonesia, 8 foot tall "jack stands" made out of 3/4 and 1 inch plate used to support gutted NYC transit rail cars during refurbishing (the red, black, and silver ones that are white and all graffiti that you see in the older movies, models R28 and R29 IIRC), a ton of other stuff I've long forgotten, and a ton of stuff you wouldn't understand my best description of it though Quaker Oats and everything that was ever plastic depended on the parts we made.

Pretty welds with deep penetration if you don't lose your gas and get porosity, and you keep your voltage in the correct range for the wire and not let it "worm hole" under the slag which looks just like worm/insect tracks under dead tree bark. I've passed Xray 6G weld tests on pipe with the stuff.

I'm assuming you're talking about gasless flux core for people too cheap to rent a tank and buy a regulator.....out dated and useless, total garbage.

Latest posts

Back