• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rev war wooden canteen

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skunkskinner

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I made this with pine, it's 10" tall and 5" thick. The iron bands are 1/8 th by 1/2 inch and peened with # 9 wire. The plug is made from black cow horn tip, chains are rusted bailing wire. After the stain sets I'll soak it in water for a day and see if it's water tight, every thing fits tight so i have high hopes.

All comments are welcome. Thanks for looking.

DSCN1890_zpse6f80ef3.jpg

DSCN1895_zps2326b0da.jpg

DSCN1901_zpsc39e777a.jpg

DSCN1903_zps12e3a22a.jpg

Lookin' good, Skunk! That looks like a lot of work whittling each section so that it fits together at the correct angles to form a circle. I think that work used to be done by a cooper...a barrelmaker.

Ah ya should have been born a Cooper, :wink:

Might take more than a day to soak tight,
An the more it goes through that wet/dry cycle the less it'll soak too tight.

Thanks Gents!

I thought about taking pics of the build Bill, but i was not very confident in the out come of the project, maybe the next one. I have some black walnut just sitting in the shop that would make a nice one.

Spikebuck, it holds one gallon and a pint. 5-6 pounds empty and very heavy full, the chain needs to be up grated to #9 wire or a sash :grin:

It leaked a fast drip on the first fill but a 24 hour total submersion soak slowed it down to some wetish spots on a few seams. I am very pleased with the end product.

Back