• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rev War style cartridge roll

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Can someone please describe the process for making a paper cartridge roll and proper loading procedures using that cartridge for my new Bess? I have the book The revolutionary Soldier and I see how they have depicted it to be done, but they not show any wadding being used. I assumed that was a required part.

Stumpkiller, I saw in an older post when searching that you insert the whole paper cartridge? Definately interested in hearing more about this topic.

Thanks for any help.

As I recall one of the early black powder books showed loading sequence. Which was to tearoff the end of cartridge with teeth, use small amount for priming the pan, pour balance of powder down barrel then ram ball and remainder of paper cartridge down. The paper cartridge is the wad.
TF

This simple answer shoud get the discussion rolling.

You need to get a wooden dowel of just a bit less diameter than your bore. You simply wrap paper (Shapes are the subject of discussion and debate)around this form and secure in some manner. Material ranges from Sticky Notes to newsprint -- even old magazines. You twist the bottom and dump a measured amount of powder into this and place a ball on top and twist this to seal the cartridge. Most people seal with a dip in hot wax to water proof and provide a measure of safety from sparks.

The original process of combat loading with a paper cartridge has a degree of risk. The original idea was to bite the twist from the powder side and dump a bit into the pan; close the hammer(frizzen); cast about to put the muzzle up and then dump the remaining powder down the bore. Then one places the paper wrapped ball at the muzzle and rams it down the bore with the ramrod.

Understand that this is done with a live charge down the bore and a live prime in the pan and the gun is at half cock. Not the most comfortable position during those moments when one is seating that ball!

You might consider priming from the horn after seating the ball unless you are needing to be historically accurate. I think that this nod toward your safety is quite justifiable and reasonable. I encourage you to use a separate priming horn. By the way, the orders of our original Rev War unit required all personnel to have their own powder horn at all times so it is not too far of a stretch to prime that way.

CS

Hota said:
Can someone please describe the process for making a paper cartridge roll and proper loading procedures using that cartridge for my new Bess? I have the book The revolutionary Soldier and I see how they have depicted it to be done, but they not show any wadding being used. I assumed that was a required part.

Stumpkiller, I saw in an older post when searching that you insert the whole paper cartridge? Definately interested in hearing more about this topic.

Thanks for any help.

Hota, The paper cartridge becomes the wadding after loading.
Don

Oh yes, I should have specified, when shooting live rounds the cartridge paper becomes the wadding. BAR regs state that when loading live round cartridges you use aluminum foil for live rounds and paper for blank rounds. This is for quick identification between the two.
Don

I found this web-page:[url] http://www.nwta.com/couriers/9-96/cartridge.html[/url]
:hatsoff:

Last edited by a moderator:
To be accurate is there a particular type of paper I should be looking for or will a brown paper lunch bag suffice? Also if shooting a .75 cal, do you guys think it best to use the .690 or .71 or .735

Of course, if your going to be doing re-enactments, NO ball and NO rammers!!!
Safty first!
:hatsoff:

Mr.Hota,You have been given excellent advice on the making of paper cartridges,particularly w/ an eye towards safety.I have been making my own paper cartriges for years and gleaned some new insight from reading the posts.As to the paper,I have found one will almost pull ones teeth out tearing cartridges made from grocery sacks!I go to a craft shop such as a Michaels and buy a roll of craft paper.It is the same colour as grocery paper, just thinner.I use a .735 ball in my bess.Best regards,J.A.

So, the wadding goes down on top of the ball after it's been seated to ensure that it won't leave before its time? That's something that I've never been quite clear on. Thanks.

I use waxed paper for mine.

Bess.jpg

Rob

Don't think of the paper as a wad or an over shot card. Rather, think of the paper as a patch. Just cram the paper wrapped ball in the muzzle and ram it down. Holds the ball in place and also gives some small protection against leading. This image helps you pick a paper since you need something just thick enough to hold the ball in place to keep it from rolling out of the bore when the muzzle is lowered, but loose enough to load easily. Being a smoothbore, this is not a very difficult requirement to meet.

CS

Back