• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Rev war powder horn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny Tremain

Silversmith in training
Reaction score
Well gang, I either got a real good deal, or got bambooseled by E-Bay.

I saw this powder horn on E-Bay, and saw two others in auction houses. The ones in the auction houses were going for over 3 grand each.

I paid under 1oo bucks for this one.

Deal or No deal?

0860_1.JPG

got any other photo's of the horn up close ... that would certainly help date it somewhat ....... just my 2cents.....

it just dont look that old everything is to crisp and clean edges natural age of a horn is not that color and after 200yrs the wood butt plug shows no ware . i could be wrong most time i am . :confused:

two-bellys said:
it just dont look that old everything is to crisp and clean edges natural age of a horn is not that color and after 200yrs the wood butt plug shows no ware . i could be wrong most time i am . :confused:

I have to concur with Two-Bellies, however, if you're happy with it, thats all that matters. On a positive note tho, it's a nice lookin horn...Nifeman

$100 is actually not too bad a price for a nice, hand-made contemporary horn. Was it advertised as a Revolutionary period? What is the condition?

08e9_1.JPG

Only two pics

Description

This auction is for a long vintage Powder Horn. The age is unknown but a rough guess would be 1800's because of it's size, wood plug and hand carved tip. The picture shows a close up of the uniquely carved tip. I've seen a lot of powder horns but none this size and with that tip. It is truly a masterpiece. The end does have a wood plug. This piece is in excellent condition. It does have a few minor scratches from age and use. The main body does not have any breaks, holes, cracks or chips. It is in amazing shape.

Measures: 21" long by 1" at the tip and 3 1/2" at the end.

Now you know as much as I do. I just loved it,a nd was in need of another.

My thought, and it doesn't even rate as high as an opinion, is that a horn that large wouldn't be carried much, if at all. It would be like a supply horn, and there's no guarantee it was even used for gunpowder. So it COULD be old and not have seen much wear.
It might be possible to date it by determining the species and breed it came from, and learning how long ago the bredd was developed/ went "extinct".

I have a better Idea. Put a strap on it, fill it full of 3F, and use it for another bunch of years!

I dont see any nails holding the plug in. If there are, then I might date it from them

I think you have the right idea johnny, fill it with powder are use it for its intended purpose ! like someone else said for $100 for a working horn of that size isn't out of line in my book ... I know you ask for an age but its really tough with only the two pic's you have . maybe once you get the horn you could supply more if your still interested in its age .....

have a good one !!

I think the key word in the auction listing is vintage. That tells me that it probably isn't 18th century. If it was old, the seller would be using the word antique.

The length of the horn suggests it was used for something other than powder. It may have been altered many years ago, and that is why the mouth is carved the way it is. Big, and Long horns were used to store grain, and grease, commonly, both for cooking, and for axles. They also were used to carry salt, a precious commodity back then. If the horn was from S. Texas, it may even have been used to carry ground pepper, another important spice used to keep the flies off meat as a means of preserving it. If that plug can be removed, I would do so, and inspect the insides. I think that would likely tell you much. If you know a Horner, ask him to look at the horn and give you an idea about the true age, and use for it.

Personally, The only time I need a pound or more of powder is when walking in a parade, shooting off blank charges for the tourists. You will not catch me carrying a large horn in the woods, as they catch on everything, and I really don't need to be lugging all that weight around when hunting.

I think Paul is right on this one. It looks like a Salt or pepper horn carried by western market hunters. This would have been used later 1850s up thru the Ctg. period for feeding rail road workers on the western plains. Ala Bill Cody :thumbsup:

:yakyak: Eastern humor, its like English humor hard for Americans to understand. :confused:

I know there were 2 replies there,,,you are playing with my mind.aren't you? :surrender: OOOOOOAAAAAHHHHH

wouldn't know what they were if lying right in front of me...don't want to know... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Got the horn today. As expected . . .

Thanks for the replies, this is the third horn Ive bought off of E-Bay, Im done.

Contact Griz via PT. He'll make you a custom horn for around those prices . . . under $100, that is.

Horn1.jpg

it is hard to tell what you are getting if you cant hold it in your hands and look it over ,but all in all it is still a nice looking horn and will make you a nice accouterment. :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back