Retired Capt. Starts Wagon Service

Discussion in 'Share Your Persona' started by Trench, May 19, 2010.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. May 19, 2010 #1

Trench

Trench

Trench

62 Cal.

I'm the third son of a Virginia land owner who receives his commission as an infantry Lieutenant in 1787. I spend the next 11 years in the Nortwest Territory and witness Harmar's defeat in 1788, St. Clair's defeat in 1790, and finally Wayne's victory at Fallen Timbers in 1794. I spend the next 5 years as a garrison officer at the various forts running up the modern Ohio-Indiana border when I retire a Capt. in 1799.

I received no inheritance from my father's death as the third son and decide to settle in Jeffersonville, IN across the river from Louisville, KY. I secure a loan to buy a couple of wagons and 4 horses and start a wagon service between the falls of the Ohio and Vincennes, IN along the Buffalo Trace. I wear a cocked hat on the trail as a reminder of my service. I think highly of myself and insist I be introduced as Captain Henry Bane.

The trace offers adventure in the form of bobcats, mountain lions, and occasional harrassment from Indians. I buy a rifle from John Small of Vincennes (coming in the future from Roy Stroh).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Jan 5, 2011 #2

aloyalistdawg

aloyalistdawg

aloyalistdawg

40 Cal.

:thumbsup: Awesome
    LOved the personia... the pic is a great add on cheers
    A Loyalist Dawg :thumbsup: :hatsoff:

3. Jan 5, 2011 #3

Southlander

Southlander

Southlander

36 Cal.

Ya' shore have dun yer homework on that 'un! Sounds like an excellent impression to be sure and it links your early kit with your current one. Well done and fairly original. :bow:

4. Feb 10, 2011 #4

Ketchakah

Ketchakah

Ketchakah

40 Cal.

Sounds great Capt,
    Keep up the fine work. :thumbsup:

5. Feb 16, 2011 #5

Burningprince

Burningprince

Burningprince

36 Cal.

Very inspiring,will have to do research like you obviously have for mine :thumbsup: .

6. Feb 16, 2011 #6

Trench

Trench

Trench

62 Cal.

Thanks, I've tweaked the years a bit since I wrote this but it's basically the same.

My wife doesn't have enough interest to play dress-up, so I'll have to explain her away through the malaria outbreak of 1794 in Philiadelphia.

My persona would have left her with her parents in the city from 1792-1794 while I was on Campaign with Mad Anthony Wayne leading up to the batte of Fallen Timbers and died during the outbreak.

7. Feb 23, 2011 #7

colmoultrie

colmoultrie

colmoultrie

50 Cal. MLF Supporter

I'm sure she'll appreciate dying for the cause. :wink:

Now it will make it harder to explain the children (either current ones or especially in the future...), although you might get by as a widower, when they are the right ages. If your wife doesn't appreciate being carried off by malaria, you might qualify for the invalid corps! :hmm:

On a more serious note, that sounds like a nice persona. I'd thought of something similar, although the East Coast added a complication, and then I went and joined a F&I War unit, the NJ Frontier Guard, so it's fowler and long waiscoat days for me...

Thanks for the interesting posts!

8. Mar 27, 2011 #8

hanshi

hanshi

hanshi

Cannon

Love the revolutionary era radio nest to the desk.

All seriousness aside, your persona looks dead on. Congrats.

9. Jan 28, 2012 #9

Trench

Trench

Trench

62 Cal.

Update. I'm horrible at business and the Ohio river trade. However, it has allowed me to establish some contacts with funds back East. Land is opening up here in Indiana Territory due to Harrison's purchasing efforts from the various tribes. Land prospecting and speculation or "Land Jobbing" is now my newest attempt to stay in funds. Recent military campaigns against the various tribes have created opportunites to tag along in relative security to exlore lands which are certain to open up to purchase on speculation in the near future. I have attempted to also secure a commision in the militia from Gov. Harrison, but it appears he remembers my duel with another young officer in Wayne's Legion during the Northwest Indian wars. Dueling, was of course frowned upon in general, but he found my actions less than honorable when after my opponent purposefully shot wide, I stepped towards him to put my pistols ball straight in to his chest. I did not suffer accusations of cowardice lightly at that young age. The story of me leaving my sergeant and three privates to their death while leading a foraging team is false in the absolute. I was accused of turning and running at the first sign of Indians. In reality I turned quickly to assertain the situation in my rear. It was the cowardice of the 17 other privates who followed me which lead to the death of the sergeant and privates who stood to fight as they all should have.

10. Feb 22, 2012 #10

54ball

54ball

54ball

62 Cal.

You suh, seem to be scoundrell and possibly a coward in the worst degree, just brave enough to murder an unarmed gallant gentleman.

I am at your service, if you demand satisfaction...

11. Feb 22, 2012 #11

Trench

Trench

Trench

62 Cal.

My second will meet with your appointed man, shortly. :thumbsup:

12. Apr 19, 2012 #12

msuspartan

msuspartan

msuspartan

45 Cal.

If you call on me I surely will shoot with keen eye. And find you a wife since she passed on.
    (Don't tell Cyndi that tho', she may shoot me first) :surrender:

and the rifle????????

Cheers, DonK