• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Restoring a smoothbore barrel bore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rich pierce

70 Cal.
Reaction score
I picked up an original smoothbore barrel years ago. The bore was rough but it is a stout round barrel about 36” long and about 16 gauge more or less. In its latest iteration it was a percussion halfstock, based on the attached rib.
Step 1 was to cut an inch off the breech and have a friend face it and thread it for a 7/8” breechplug on a lathe. We had to cut it from the breech because the breechplug and drum section was not worth trying to salvage. When trying to restore and original barrel to working order, one needs to decide whether cutting a section off each end will be most efficient, and if one can use a barrel shortened in this way.
Next step was to ream the bore until all rust was gone, and the true extent of pitting could be assessed.
I used an adjustable reamer, with a range of 21/32 to 23/32”. It has a square end. To use it I got a piece of mild steel square tubing that fit the end and a handle that would slide on the tubing and could be tightened with a set screw.
Then I mounted the barrel in a vise and at the end of the workbench mounted a vertical pine board with a round hole in it the square tubing would just pass through. It’s a very temporary, shade tree mechanic setup to align the reamer to the bore as the work is done. One day I will set up an actual boring bench.
I set the reamer to just hit the high spots and hand turner it, advancing about 1/16” per turn. After about 8 passes while increasing the cutting diameter of the reamer, the rust was gone. After another 8 hours or so of cutting, cleaning the reamer, swabbing the barrel, adjusting the reamer, and repeating, it is shining like a mirror. It’s now about a 12 gauge barrel. I think I took about 0.030” out.
9CB15AD5-3997-464D-B945-6F119BCF6E2E.jpeg
E57D4DDC-2376-4236-B7FB-B09506D1ABEC.jpeg

nice!
rich, where did you buy the reamer from?
thanks
ou
tom
I got it off eBay for about $25 shipped. It’s used but made here. There are new ones at low prices from elsewhere and they may be fine, I just don’t know.
I will say this process is tedious and very small increases in reamer diameter need to be taken. It’s wurst when hitting the far side of a hole or deep pit. When in a section where it’s cutting 360 degrees all the time it goes fairly smoothly.

Hi Rich,
Fantastic as always! Do you think that would work to turn a modern 20 gauge (12L14) smooth barrel into a 16 gauge? Can't wait until you and Susan move to Vermont. With you, me, Tom, Eric, Rich Colton and Brian Anderson, we will have a vibrant and skilled community of NE and northern NY gunsmith/scholars producing really historically accurate guns.

dave

Hi Rich,
Fantastic as always! Do you think that would work to turn a modern 20 gauge (12L14) smooth barrel into a 16 gauge? Can't wait until you and Susan move to Vermont. With you, me, Tom, Eric, Rich Colton and Brian Anderson, we will have a vibrant and skilled community of NE and northern NY gunsmith/scholars producing really historically accurate guns.

dave
Dave, I think that would be about 16 hours of work! But with occasional administration of libations, we’d get there!

As soon as we are vaccinated we’ll start house hunting. I definitely want to help gather folks together to share gun building fun.

Back