• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Restore or just leave it be? That is the question.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was 12 years old during the Bi-Centennial and was really into history. My Dad had sold a business and was preparing the family to make a move to a new town and start up a new business. Before he started working on that he wanted to take a vacation and what a vacation it was! We visited almost all of the major battle fields of the Revolutionary and Civil wars. Went to all the major points of interest etc. I can't remember exactly how he got this jewel but at some point we obtained this cannon. As you can see after 45 years its in pretty rough shape. Just the other day I was talking to my dad and telling him of my new endeavor to participate as a reenactor as a surveyor in Texas in the 1820's and how much I was looking forward to it. In the conversation he asked If I still had it. Yep indeed but its in rough shape. He asked what it would take to get it restored and also obtain the limber chest and Caisson which somehow has disappeared over the years. I said that is a good question, but I know some folks that may know the answer.

So, would it be worth it to set about restoring this old thing or would it be better just to maintain its current condition and call it good. If restoring it is an option, how would and individual begin such a task? Would the cost be prohibitive?

Wheels are 12" and the total length of barrel is 15" with a .75 bore.

Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

RM

thumbnail_Image (3).jpg

thumbnail_Image.jpg

thumbnail_Image (4).jpg

thumbnail_Image (2).jpg

I use the .735s from October Country over 130 grains of 2f and four squares of tp wadded up under it.
You'd be surprised how accurate they really are. We've been within 6" of hitting a 16x20 plate at well over 100 yards!

I don't know who made yours but I know the guy that made mine. He was making them in his home shop and selling them on ebay. He lives less than two hours from me so I took a road trip to pick it up just for grins. We're kindred souls it seems so we made a deal for a custom carrying/storage case for it too. :)

wm

Do you use a fuse or touch it off? Cool! Thanks! You think that fella would be interested in fixing mine up a bit? Maybe he would have, or know where I can find the parts I am missing? just a thought.

RM
I use waterproof "model rocketry" fuse. I prefer to be out of arm's reach, ya know? ;)

What do you think needs replaced? Frankly, most of what you might need can likely be found at any home improvement store or hardware shop. Regardless of the first sentence in this post, this ain't rocket science.

wm

I use waterproof "model rocketry" fuse. I prefer to be out of arm's reach, ya know? ;)

What do you think needs replaced? Frankly, most of what you might need can likely be found at any home improvement store or hardware shop. Regardless of the first sentence in this post, this ain't rocket science.

wm

Ha! just Cannon Science! Will flip them around.

Thanks Fellas for the suggestions,

The hubs have shrunk down to where the metal bands are barely holding on.

I am missing one of the pins that holds the (Now Correct :) :thumb: ) wheels on. (See Below) and I would like to replace it. Otherwise, I get what you fellas are saying (KISS and "Leave Her Be". Will do. just want to tidy her up a bit.

thumbnail_Image (5).jpg

Thanks again!

RM

Last edited:
That's a beauty. A product called Chairlock works well to swell and tighten dried/shrunken furniture joints. It might help tighten the wheel looseness; it may even swell the shrunken hub as well. Soaking in BLO might also help swell it. Failing that a brass shim might work to fill the gap.

I'd think making a matching limber should be easy for a carpenter/cabinetmaker. For the hardware, I'd look to a blacksmith or a machinist. The wheels are likely to be the hardest to find or fabricate.

If the lead to someone making similar cannons works out, he's probably also able to reproduce the limber.

The carriage only needs to be competent to withstand recoil. Otherwise, you can do as much or as little as you are comfortable spending money or your time on. I am often surprised by the artisans I find within reasonable distance.
I'd suggest that, if you want to eagerly pursue this, first research and find a real, historic cannon that you would like to replicate or resemble. Helps to have a goal.

Pardon my ignorance but...

BLO?
Limber?

wm
BLO stands for Boiled Linseed Oil.

A limber is a 2 wheeled cart like device that the tail stock of the cannon is attached to, to allow the cannon to be transported.
It usually had chests or containers that could store equipment or ammunition for the gun.
1613945269772.png

For the life of me I don’t know what happened to it. My dad thinks it got smashed in the move an my mom not knowing what it was threw it away. That is exactly what I remember when we first got it. This is so cool!

the wood needs to be rehydrated, looks to have been stored out of the weather, but it may be too far gone.

The Amish have wheel shops all over the place. They still build brand new horse drawn vehicles with brand new wooden wheels. I know there is a wheel shop right in the middle of New Holland PA that has built wheels for me. Nolt’s Wheel Shop. 214 Shirk Rd. New Holland PA. 717-355-9182

Last edited:
That's a beauty. A product called Chairlock works well to swell and tighten dried/shrunken furniture joints. It might help tighten the wheel looseness; it may even swell the shrunken hub as well. Soaking in BLO might also help swell it. Failing that a brass shim might work to fill the gap.

I'd think making a matching limber should be easy for a carpenter/cabinetmaker. For the hardware, I'd look to a blacksmith or a machinist. The wheels are likely to be the hardest to find or fabricate.

If the lead to someone making similar cannons works out, he's probably also able to reproduce the limber.
Nolt’s Wheel Shop 214 Shirk Rd New Holland PA. 717-355-9182. Virtually any Amish community should have a wheel shop

Latest posts

Back