• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Restore A Flintlock Pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brought a beautiful double 20 from Europe. It was made in Belgium in the mid 1800s, had a lovely, full curl ram's head for a pistol grip and a astounding Damascus barrel. It had some gold inlay on the barrel as well. I wiped it down with gun oil, swabbed the barrels with a good cleaner, then oiled the stock. I 'used' it beginning in 1965 and sold it after quail season in 1977. It was used with light loads, of course, but nailed a lot of birds. It was sold for appreciably more than the purchase price in Germany. Key ..cleaned and oiled. Polecat

I brought a beautiful double 20 from Europe. It was made in Belgium in the mid 1800s, had a lovely, full curl ram's head for a pistol grip and a astounding Damascus barrel. It had some gold inlay on the barrel as well. I wiped it down with gun oil, swabbed the barrels with a good cleaner, then oiled the stock. I 'used' it beginning in 1965 and sold it after quail season in 1977. It was used with light loads, of course, but nailed a lot of birds. It was sold for appreciably more than the purchase price in Germany. Key ..cleaned and oiled. Polecat
I am new to this but it seems that there is a groundswell of people who are appreciating the beautiful craftsmanship of these special firearms.

I don't recall PMing you. What did I say? It is not on my message board. There is one person that I have PM ed with and we have had a cordial exchange of ideas.
Yep at 05:49 on Sunday.(as shown on my screen which may be adjusted for where i am, i do not know).

Last edited:
When somebody posts to a beginners board like this one, inquiring about "restoring" a pistol that may fetch $30K at auction that is a red flag. Many times that person goes on to sand it down or use naval jelly and cold blue. That person will destroyed a historical artifact and a work of art. It happens a lot. In short if you had to ask that is a bad sign.

To put in in car perspective if someone wanted advice on modding his 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO. Say, he wanted to install 15" wide wheels, suspension changes and a crate engine. Further he insisted "because it was his and he could do what he wanted". That sounds like a disaster in the making.

That is what happened here.

If the person asking posted pictures and was no so defensive that helps. Also to say you know guns because you work on cars is not helpful.

I have 50 years experience and would not even consider turning a screw on an original Manton flintlock. That is because I have made the mistakes for myself.

In conclusion, I sincerely hope it went well. Please post before and after pictures.

When somebody posts to a beginners board like this one, inquiring about "restoring" a pistol that may fetch $30K at auction that is a red flag. Many times that person goes on to sand it down or use naval jelly and cold blue. That person will destroyed a historical artifact and a work of art. It happens a lot. In short if you had to ask that is a bad sign.

To put in in car perspective if someone wanted advice on modding his 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO. Say, he wanted to install 15" wide wheels, suspension changes and a crate engine. Further he insisted "because it was his and he could do what he wanted". That sounds like a disaster in the making.

If the person asking posted pictures and was no so defensive that helps. Also to say you know guns because you work on cars is not helpful.

I have 50 years experience and would not even consider turning a screw on an original Manton flintlock. That is because I have made the mistakes for myself.

In conclusion, I sincerely hope it went well. Please post before and after pictures.
I don't know guns. That makes it worse.

I would refer you to the first page. I wish I had more pictures before the conservation. I hope you can see that the trigger guard does not have the grey patina. The metal surfaces are black. In my humble opinion that is not patina. I am leaving the lock plate alone because the gray patina is beautiful. I will show you pictures of a Joseph Manton that I used to pattern this gun after when I am finished. I believe I have put about a month into this pistol. I understand that the length of time does not equate with a good result. It just means regardless of the result it has been time consuming. I did remove the two screws on the trigger guard and got them free without damaging them. In this thread I talked about how I did it. You learn by asking.

I would refer you to the first page. I wish I had more pictures before the conservation. I hope you can see that the trigger guard does not have the grey patina. The metal surfaces are black. In my humble opinion that is not patina. I am leaving the lock plate alone because the gray patina is beautiful. I will show you pictures of a Joseph Manton that I used to pattern this gun after when I am finished. I believe I have put about a month into this pistol. I understand that the length of time does not equate with a good result. It just means regardless of the result it has been time consuming. I did remove the two screws on the trigger guard and got them free without damaging them. In this thread I talked about how I did it. You learn by asking.
What I meant is I learn by asking.

What I meant is I learn by asking.

I am continuing to work on the pistol. It is more challenging than I thought so I have to go slow. It's the most delicate project I have undertaken. I didn't expect this. So many of you warned me about this! I wouldn't wish this on any one! I'm happy with results so far but I have a ways to go. I'll keep you posted regarding the racing stripe color(s). :)
The real question here is what color racing stripes? Maybe painting flames on the side would be more appropriate.........

:p

Do you feel this Manton set is underpriced?
https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...-pistols------50-calibre.cfm?gun_id=101504860

I’m not aware of the term vent liner but would appreciate a reference.
I could be wrong but as far as I know touch hole (vent hole) liners are a 20th century invention. If this is true the liners were added later which means either the original touch holes were possibly corroded and the liners were added to repair the problem, at least one owner thought the liners were a good idea to add or they're antiqued reproductions. It's also possible the barrels are new replacements and most everything else is original.

Back