• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Restocking Help for T/C

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bucky182

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Ok I got the go ahead from home 6 (House Commander) she says I can order a new stock for my T/C Renegade I am redoing. I am ordering a grade 3 half stock from Pecatonica river supply co.
I already have L&R replacement lock (Flintlock) and Deer slayer triggers and had Mr. Hoyt re-bore her to .54 with 1:66 twist. and added more traditional sights. So I guess when I am done the only thing T/C will trigger guard and fittings.

All of those things are for the most part not seen as much as the stock. I would like some photos of restocked or original Hawken rifles for some ideas as well as your personalized rifles. I am thinking of putting a Hawken style butt plate and toe kick on it. Probably steel maybe silver if I can find it.

Please if possible show me some of your customized Hawken rifles so I can get some more ideas. ANY and ALL recommendations would be appreciated as this is my first attempt at something like this. I know I am excited to do it! I built my own custom high power rifle and love it. Nothing like harvesting a deer with a gun you made and bullets you loaded.

Thank YOU!!

Installing a "true" Hawken Bplate mandates an upper arm hold which I don't like......not natural.....Fred

I would request that your precarve does not have the lock inlet cut so you can do it yourself and have it in the right place.

I have installed an L&R in a TC stock, it was a nightmare, l had to move the barrel back to get the vent properly positioned, cut a new lock bolt hole and a host of other very difficult tasks fitting the lock in a TC inlet. With your precarve it won't be any trouble at all if you do the lock inlet yourself.

I always post this picture when I recommend that you don't let the P place cut your lock inlet, it may come back perfectly done and then again it may not be anyway near being in the right place.

My first and definitely my last lock inlet from a stock pre-carver.

100_4992.JPG

Ordered a Hawken precarve from Pecatonica and upon arrival noticed that the lock inlet was mislocated. Called them and then drove down. They agreed w/ me and showed me another precarve which had too short a LOP. So while I waited they cut me another precarve but upped the grade from a #4 to a #5 [their best}. I left and was a happy camper.....Fred

I had a CVA Hawken 50cal that I wanted to restock in Maple. I ordered 2 Leman Half Stocks precarved but not inlet for the lock in plain Maple. Don't remember who I got them from, but both came with good figure in the wood instead of the expected plain. I wound up only using the CVA barrel with a Siler Mountain Lock, trade gun trigger and iron Leman furniture. One of the stocks pictured was so pretty I just used pins instead of keys in the forestock and no cap box to show off the figured wood better. I use a flush nipple to clean anyway so I don't need to take down the barrel often. It made a nice hunting gun with good trigger finger access.

Attachments

• IMG_E1992.JPG
    IMG_E1992.JPG
    296.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I had a CVA Hawken 50cal that I wanted to restock in Maple. I ordered 2 Leman Half Stocks precarved but not inlet for the lock in plain Maple. Don't remember who I got them from, but both came with good figure in the wood instead of the expected plain. I wound up only using the CVA barrel with a Siler Mountain Lock, trade gun trigger and iron Leman furniture. One of the stocks pictured was so pretty I just used pins instead of keys in the forestock and no cap box to show off the figured wood better. I use a flush nipple to clean anyway so I don't need to take down the barrel often. It made a nice hunting gun with good trigger finger access.
that stock would make a Tiger green with envy! beautiful!

that stock would make a Tiger green with envy! beautiful!
Thanks Deerstalkert, Must of been my lucky day to order stocks. Here is the other one which I just started on a lock inlet. I don't know who was picking out plain wood that day but I love their idea of plain! The curl even follows through pretty much the same on both sides.

Attachments

• IMG_E2007.JPG
    IMG_E2007.JPG
    208.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
. Don't remember who I got them from, but both came with good figure in the wood instead of the expected plain
think man think!
i want to order from them, whomever it is!
Ok, I found the catalog I ordered from It was Log Cabin and must have been 5-6 years ago though. Paid $53.50 each back then. I let them lay around for a while till I retired and started Muzzleloading again. Here is another Log Cabin stock ordered plain maple more recently to build a Tennessee Mountain Rifle. It has curl over most of it but much fainter showing up when finished. I guess it's just the luck of what is in stock when they shipped. I remember noticing the Leman stocks did not have a grade number printed on them so someone may have just shipped what they first picked up without noticing the curl.

Attachments

• IMG_E2011.JPG
    IMG_E2011.JPG
    301.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back