• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Resolving Sticky Gun Purchase

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I disagree. Damage was caused by improper packing.šŸ˜”

Without seeing the original package we can only guess. It could have been packaged to withstand reasonable handling which is something that doesn't always happen. Short of fabricating a box from 3/16" steel plate and filling it with foam I don't know of anyway to guarantee It will arrive undamaged. Actually they may take that as a challenge and call in a team to screw it up. :D

"Do you all think it out if line for me to request a much more significant refund, considering the increased sweat equity to put this gun in the order it should have come? I welcome your input."

Why do folks ask a question that they can answer if they stood in front of a mirror and looked at themselves and asked what is the right thing to do?
We all seek validation.;)

Why such a big deal with the loads, disassemble the gun, get a bucket set the breech end in the bucket pour enough kerosene in the bucket to cover the breech , pour the barrels full of kerosene also. Let it set for about a week , use a good nipple wrench and gently remove the nipples, do not force them work at it gradually, but I bet they will release with moderate pressure. pull the load not a difficult deal. While this process is going on either fix the stock or begin too look for someone to re-stock the gun. I would not pull the nipples and attempt to dig the charge out through the bolster and risk messing up the threads where the nipples were.

This may help, not knowing what the original cost, or information relayed during the purchase was, a rifle like this in pristine condition 450.00 dollars. there are some parts available on the numerich arms site but very limited, your rifle was made bye Hopkins and Allen, marketed through numerich arms. Hopkins and Allen went out of business around 1981 Yes there are problems with the gun but nothing that cannot be fixed with some re-search, elbow grease, and a decent re-stocking or stock fix. Some time and money yes but a lesson well learnt perhaps.

The bores may be rotten in the area of the charge due to moisture accumulation and reaction with the potassium nitrate in the powder. This wouldn't be the end of the world for shooting as long as you loaded the same or more volume so that the bullet isn't starting out from the rusty part. Having two inches cut off the back would cure any rust if you want to go that route.

As for shipping back with the charge and bullet in it, I know you said that you won't but you might be pressured by the seller to do that - DONT' DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Delivery vehicles can catch on fire like any vehicle and if that thing goes off and puts a bullet into someone you will never live that down in many, many ways. The bullet has to come out of it before you ship it. I don't know of any carrier that will accept a loaded firearm and that is a loaded firearm percussion cap or not.

Even if the bores are questionable a trip to Mr. Hoyt would remedy that. Like I stated get it up and running really do not think all is lost, I see a serviceable weapon, this is a sows ear that can be turned into a silk purse in my opinion.

I have reached an equitable resolution with the seller. Enough to repair stock and for my sweat equity on getting gun unloaded. Now that I know I am keeping it, I was able to get one drum off. Buggered edges a bit, but can flat file that clean for stripping and browning. What came out of the one side looks to be about 40+ grains of FG powder. There seems to be more up around the bullet, but my QND scraping tool isn't getting anything more out. It is very dry and light in color. No moisture was detected. I suspect this gun has been loaded for over 40 years. The cap I took off I put on my percussion rifle. It did not go bang. I think it had deteriorated, as it left material in nipple of the swivel gun when removed. I need to work on the other drum now. The question is: with the drums off, should I just plan on shooting the balls out? Put maybe 20 gr FFG in and ram loads snug on top? I read a lot of pros and cons about ball pullers vs blowing out with powder, compressed air or grease.

If mine I would pull the balls, get as much of the old powder out as possible, scrub the bores with hot water, dawn dish soap, use a good quality nylon bristle bore brush and a quality cleaning rod, you may need to do this two or three times. get the barrels good and dry. Ensure the barrels are clear through the nipple, re-place the nipples with new ones. You can do this bye blowing down the barrels and listening or feeling for air to escape through the nipples. MAKE SURE THE GUN IS UN-LOADED, Check them with a bore light, if all looks well, Then load and shoot a few blank loads through them say 4 shots each of 3 f black powder 40 grains tightly wadded, repeat the cleaning procedure and bore light the barrels again. That should clean out any old residue that may of been in there, if not repeat the cleaning process, If all looks good, same load with proper patching and ball, once or twice each barrel, From there work up a accurate load and go hunting. Good luck yes a bit of work but I think in the end worth it.

BigSky, I would try the compressed air route either with an air compressor or the CO2 ball dislodgers. If you do this be certain the muzzle is in a safe direction because that ball can really be flying. The first time I did it I shot it into a five gallon plastic bucket. My thought being to save the ball. What a bonehead I was. Yup that ball blew through the bottom of the bucket. The bucket was on my gravel drive way and went about four inches deep into the dirt under the gravel. But it was easier than tying my ramrod to a tree and yanking on the rifle. Good luck in what ever you do.

I am glad you came to an agreement with the seller. Absolutely ridiculous someone would sell a product and not describe it had missing pieces and what they are let alone sell and ship a loaded weapon.

The big question is do you want the gun the way it is? Is the seller willing to give you a partial refund? He may be entitled to something from the shipper. Was it a really good deal for the gun and are you will t keep it still? I just bought a gun and found it to still be loaded. Iā€™ve been working for weeks to get the ball out and spending $ on supplies to help do so. Recently, after exhausting most options, I bought some mercury to hopefully melt the ball out. Anyway I am still happy with the deal and donā€™t want to send it back. I hope you are in a position where there will be no problems returning it, if you decide to. Also keep in mind, that often guns are sold by people who have inherited them and donā€™t know anything about them.

The question is: with the drums off, should I just plan on shooting the balls out? Put maybe 20 gr FFG in and ram loads snug on top? I read a lot of pros and cons about ball pullers vs blowing out with powder, compressed air or grease.
Why not try fully seating the ball, then using a few grains of powder to pop it out like any other dryball?

Given the eagerness of the seller to refund monies, twice, I suspect they knew this thing was loaded when they sold it and were just glad to get it out of their shop.

I once bought a gun online thru one of the big outfits which was obviously put in the box broken. The box was in perfect shape and obviously not dropped to cause this sort of damage (shattered stock, bent metal parts). I told the local post office and showed them pictures, even told them about the box being undamaged. The post office not only issued me a full refund but let me keep all the parts. Had delayed deliveries come the next day after making an inquiry. The good old USPS has my vote. Try asking FedEx and see how they handle it. Maybe they might surprise you. I wouldnā€™t risk a spark happening while youā€™re trying to get that nipple out until you get that thing unloaded. I belong to the ā€œlash it to a tire, get behind cover, pull the trigger with a long string group myselfā€.

Gave the loads a tap with rod and they moved a little. So I believe I will try and shoot them out. Should I put a little oil down the bore to soak into patches and then load powder? How many grains FFG? 15? 20? Less/more? Thanks for the help and advice.

Back