• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Resistance is futile

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
There is a story of two MM who traveled between forts. Minimal equipment, one didn’t even have a cup, since if he needed one he could borrow his friends.
I just bought some knives, made some new sheaths. Hmm
Was in filling my morning pipe and looked at my shelf with displayed pots.
several cups, tin plate tin bowl, wood bowl, several one qt tin and copper pots, bigger tin and copper pots up to gallon size and one three gallon tin pot that I for use for my water supply. Salt horn, and some wood and horn utensils too.
In my work closet I have two big storage boxes full of blankets and several coats waistcoats breeches and trousers, several pairs of shoes and half boots.
Hats without end, plenty of stockings
I have a haversack type bag with, well too much manure, and another as my shooting box, with extra cleaning stuff and tools to use.
shooting bag for each gun, a few unused powder horns
Half a dozen clay pipes and God knows how much small stuff.
each week I get some sort of catalog or some alert in my email.
candles, candle lanterns candle holders
Market wallet, random bags a few snapsacks , little tin boxes with out number.
Oh my
And generally my camps pretty light, and I have F/I-colonial period and war 1812- Santa Fe trail period so I have stuff that’s right for one time but not the other, but I sure ain’t running with them boys mentioned in the beginning of this post.
But still look at a catalog or an alert or them evil traders at an event and my tongues out and hands on my wallet
Resistance is futil

This is me conversing with my wife,

Honey, I am almost there, I got my clothes and tent... a year later,

Honey, I am almost there only need a few things now for cooking.... 2 months later

Honey, I am almost there I need a new bag for that new rifle...what rifle? You know the one I told you about, what I didn't tell you? Dern, Sorry must have forgot...2months later...

Honey, I am almost there, what do I need now...well let me think about it, I know there is something I am missing...

At least this is how its been going the last year and a half or so.

RM

Hi, My name is Deerstalker, and I'm a gadgetholic. and a gunaholic, and a toolaholic.
really i have never seen a gun that i didn't like. some i didn't want, but none i didn't like. and i have tried my darndest to acquire them all. it was Ok when i owned and operated a Gunshop.
but when i had to find places to hide, ER i mean store my collections from the wife it was plain that i had too much. and probably will when i cross the river.

Hi, My name is Deerstalker, and I'm a gadgetholic. and a gunaholic, and a toolaholic.
really i have never seen a gun that i didn't like. some i didn't want, but none i didn't like. and i have tried my darndest to acquire them all. it was Ok when i owned and operated a Gunshop.
but when i had to find places to hide, ER i mean store my collections from the wife it was plain that i had too much. and probably will when i cross the river.
Thank you. I feel a little better now.
I thought I too had a hopeless case of all of the above.
But, I actually have seen many guns I didn't like, and didn't want. Both muzzleloading and modern. Thought it was from too many tears in the industry.
But, there is plenty of other gear I can't resist, or at least can't resist fantasizing over.....

There are a lot of guns I wouldn’t mind seeing and shooting I have no interest in owning one. Rifled muskets, wheelocks, match locks come to mind not counting modren guns I have no interest in.
And there is a lot of historic stuff and gadgets I don’t care to own….
But, I could fill the house with stuff I’d like just confined to ‘my times’ and persona economic class

Sounds like the way we were at the Friends of the Old Northwest Rendezvous. We had some heavy rain storms with more scheduled , so they closed on Thursday noon instead of Saturday mourning. They did not notify a group that came in by bus Thursday noon. As I said to the groups guide: " This is how it really is-we have a truck and trailer load of stuff to pretend we are mountain men with a pack mule, and if it rains we go home."

Rodman.....I have a lot more to go,but it's been huge fun trying. Love to shoot different kinds of home built custom m/l guns. Most folks don't know how to sight a m/l gun in, so it's put a kit together , powder , patch , ball , etc., and off to the range . Huge fun...........oldwood

I too have far more 18th century clothing and items than anyone actually had in the 18th century. I have been accumulating it for over 4 years now in hopes of doing some F&I war and AWI reenacting when I retired. Well I retired in 2020 and due to the craziness I have yet to participate in an event. I am not afraid of any rain though. As a boy scout leader in the late '90s taught my scouts to be prepared for most eventualities. More than once we had to have vehicles pulled out of the mud, jump started in the cold, set up a corduroy of sticks along the main path in the camp. One parent said he heard the bass jumping in the mud puddle during the night.
Wish things would get back to "normal"

Woody

Oh boy, do these stories hit home. It seems as soon as I got reasonably proficient at one craft, sewing, then it seems as though whenever I saw something I liked, at a price I could never afford, I said to myself "Aw H___! I could make that for the price of the fabric. All I need is a pattern."

Now I have a closet full of shirts, vests from the 1730s to the 1860s, rifle frocks, a War of 1812 musician's coatee, a French Canadian capote, leggings, and moccasins. And that's just the stuff I've made. I've even attempted, with some success to teach myself finger weaving.

Now I've noticed that my fusil de chasse (which I built and equipped my shop with the necessary tools) needs a bag. I just happen to have a brain tanned deer skin... Might be a good time to learn how to bead, and while I'm at it how about quill work? How hard can it be?

God preserve me from knitting!

No Matchlocks or Wheellocks ? . They might fit in the 1640 to 1840 North American Continent R' vous rule, ( Cant all be the ' Gotta get a Hawken '. & yes I am tilting at windmills but ive allways suffered from Imagination .
Sounds like the way we were at the Friends of the Old Northwest Rendezvous. We had some heavy rain storms with more scheduled , so they closed on Thursday noon instead of Saturday mourning. They did not notify a group that came in by bus Thursday noon. As I said to the groups guide: " This is how it really is-we have a truck and trailer load of stuff to pretend we are mountain men with a pack mule, and if it rains we go home."
Anyone who went to NMLRA Eastern at Salamanca will remember the mud but while many wouldnt even set up & went home . I remember it as great R vous Poor Ed of the Green hats had a situation but he and the team coped wonderfully considering .I cant remember the year but no one could forget That R vous ' The Mud Eastern '. I went onto do' Fair at New Boston' never change my togs walked right in set up with Smoke & Fire and rode a Velocopeed bone shaker Good times . Rudyard

At the Eastern at Troy down in the "dog leg" people had two foot of water in their lodges, at the top they used large tractors to pull the "porta potty " service truck around.
I had to carry my rifle,hawk, and bow up to the school so I could shoot in the afternoon.(I was the school master). Yet through it all one little girl would come to school with a clean white dress an carry her mocassions to put on once she got to school. Where the is a will their is a way (As well as a long lost relative) 't

This is me conversing with my wife,

Honey, I am almost there, I got my clothes and tent... a year later,

Honey, I am almost there only need a few things now for cooking.... 2 months later

Honey, I am almost there I need a new bag for that new rifle...what rifle? You know the one I told you about, what I didn't tell you? Dern, Sorry must have forgot...2months later...

Honey, I am almost there, what do I need now...well let me think about it, I know there is something I am missing...

At least this is how its been going the last year and a half or so.

RM
Year and a half I’ve been in the N-SSA for 32 years. Twice a year I go to the nationals always forget something. Or need something I don’t need. Heck one year I actually forgot my musket. Wasn’t that a surprise when I went to shoot individual. Well at least team events where not until Sunday and a teammate’s wife was coming Saturday. So my wife dropped the musket off by her. Alls well that ends well.

Back