• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Rescued a abused 1858 Remington

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe the Pedersoli '58s had gain twist rifling.
That is the big question : from 1:60 to 1:30, twist rate progressive or degressive ? :D :D

Never mind, forget it...... it's a joke... ;)

Pedersoli don't do that : in fact, the Pedersoli are made by Uberti (Beretta now) finished by Pedersoli and like Uberti never did it I'm dubious about the existing Pedersoli with progressive twist rate...

Pietta did it one time on the Pietta Match (don't know if Pietta make it again)and the caliber was also different : .462"...

The gain in target shooting was peanuts (if somebody found this) in regard to the cost of those "revolving pistols" : the interest could be different with heavy loads...

That is the big question : from 1:60 to 1:30, twist rate progressive or degressive ? :D :D

Pedersoli don't do that : in fact, the Pedersoli are made by Uberti (Beretta now) finished by Pedersoli and like Uberti never did it I'm dubious about the existing Pedersoli with progressive twist rate...

Pietta did it one time on the Pietta Match (don't know if Pietta make it again)and the caliber was also different : .462"...

The gain in target shooting was peanuts (if somebody found this) in regard to the cost of those "revolving pistols" : the interest could be different with heavy loads...
Just so I am clear, you are saying that Uberti makes the components and Pedersoli finishes the product?

Just so I am clear, you are saying that Uberti makes the components and Pedersoli finishes the product?
Yes I do ... ;)
And all parts are interchangeable or almost...
All Pedersoli revolvers are manufactured by Uberti (Uberti is in the Beretta galaxy now)...
Pedersoli takes care of the finishing and the improvement (or not) of some parts but in this way and it is rather reassuring, all the Uberti parts are suitable.

Last edited:
Yes I do ... ;)
And all parts are interchangeable or almost...
All Pedersoli revolvers are manufactured by Uberti (Uberti is in the Beretta galaxy now)...
Pedersoli takes care of the finishing and the improvement (or not) of some parts but in this way and it is rather reassuring, all the Uberti parts are suitable.
I always regarded Uberti to be the best of production BP guns. I have a Pedersoli Kentucky flintlock I bought under a year ago hanging on the wall and am very pleased with it. I just hope Beretta doesn't degrade their quality such as when one company takes over another and then ruins it.

I have a Pedersoli Kentucky flintlock I bought under a year ago hanging on the wall and am very pleased with it.
That's a good rifle that you have.
I have two Tryon Match and a Tryon Target, a Sharps Sporting .54 cal (paper and linen cartridges), and I'm waiting a Pennsylvania .32 for my wife (they are late by reason of the COVID).
Only the revolvers are made by Uberti, I'm reserved about handguns, but I like the Pedersoli long arms : not very expensive and good.
In production of rifles in Europa stay only Pedersoli for all and eventually Tilo Dedinski (Germany) but more for target shooting and very expensive...
Tilo Dedinski : Finest hand crafted muzzleloaders/

I could be wrong here; they say the memory is the first thing to go. I forget the second thing...

But I digress. Dixie used to sell what they referred to as a "shooter's revolver" 1858. IIRC, it was about double the price of a standard 1858. I read somewhere that the added cost was due to the increased accuracy, among other things, and the reason was due to the barrel with gain twist rifling...and that was because the guns (or barrels) were built by Pedersoli.
That was about ten years ago I remember reading that and darned if I remember where, or if it's even true.

I could be wrong here; they say the memory is the first thing to go. I forget the second thing...

But I digress. Dixie used to sell what they referred to as a "shooter's revolver" 1858. IIRC, it was about double the price of a standard 1858. I read somewhere that the added cost was due to the increased accuracy, among other things, and the reason was due to the barrel with gain twist rifling...and that was because the guns (or barrels) were built by Pedersoli.
That was about ten years ago I remember reading that and darned if I remember where, or if it's even true.

It’s true. I’ve owned a few. They have the gain twist barrel, also have chambers bored to .456” (groove diameter is .454”) and they’re very well timed with good triggers. They don’t fit my hands at all so I have sold every Remington I’ve ever owned. ROA (which shoot every bit as well as the “shooters model”) and Colts for me. I have at least two Colts that will give the shooters model a run for its money.

Latest posts

Back