• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Requesting Help Identifying Old Musket

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chessmen

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm interested in seeing if anyone may be able to help me with identifying a musket that was handed down to me. There are a few markers that I'm hoping will be able to provide some clues. I haven't found much on the Eagle in photo 1 but I do believe that the 4 markets in Photo 3 should be enough for someone who knows what they're looking at based on my bit of research. If I can provide any more helpful info or pictures please let me know.

Is it a good or bad idea to try and clean up the rust on the barrel?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 155
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 155
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 161
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 156
Hey guys,

I'm interested in seeing if anyone may be able to help me with identifying a musket that was handed down to me. There are a few markers that I'm hoping will be able to provide some clues. I haven't found much on the Eagle in photo 1 but I do believe that the 4 markets in Photo 3 should be enough for someone who knows what they're looking at based on my bit of research. If I can provide any more helpful info or pictures please let me know.

Is it a good or bad idea to try and clean up the rust on the barrel?

Thank you in advance for your help.
Also, touchhole all wrong as to placement. Way too high above the pan.

I have no clue who made it, or where, but the "U" touch mark looks like it might have been imported into Germany some time after 1950.

A typical trade musket made for sale to the indigenous in 3rd. world countries. Most likely made in Belgium and they were sold in this country by various importers from the 1950s through the 80s and possibly later. You can oil it and call the rust patina or polish it bright, it's not likely to hurt its value. These are fairly common and it could be a nice decorator item.

I don't recognize the proof marks, but I would agree with those who identified it as a Belgian trade musket. That two-piece, back-action flintlock was typical. Dixie Gun Works used to sell a Belgian flintlock "elephant gun" in 4 gauge smoothbore that had a lock like that. If your gun has an enormous bore, close to an inch in diameter, it may be one of those. I know Dixie was selling them in the 1960's, and possibly a bit later.

Notchy Bob

Does it have a two-piece stock as well, with the pieces butted together under that rear barrel band? This was pretty common with this type of musket. Also on post #2, the photo appears to show a crack or split in the barrel. Is there one?

A typical trade musket made for sale to the indigenous in 3rd. world countries. Most likely made in Belgium and they were sold in this country by various importers from the 1950s through the 80s and possibly later. You can oil it and call the rust patina or polish it bright, it's not likely to hurt its value. These are fairly common and it could be a nice decorator item.
Leave it dark! Won't look right bright.

Back