• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Request info on Baker rifles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kid_couteau

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Good morning All

Ok I admit I have been watching Sharpe's rifles on Youtube and I would like a Baker rifle.

My research, poor as it is, tells me there are no quality rifled versions of this. Is this correct?

If there are versions of this that are of good quality and are rifled could you please let me know?
Thank you
KC

I 'think' I read that someone had a smoothbore lined to .54" caliber. Stated it shot great but was on the heavy side.
Possibly done by Hoyt. Having a COVID booster mind fog episode at the moment.
Sure someone will come along to set straight.

The “heavy” smoothbore Bakers are usually imported from India.
TRS, as mentioned above, sell a couple different models - if in stock.
Pedersoli says they are bringing one out in 2023.
Definitely going to get one. Waiting to see Pedersoli’s product (and cost) before I jump on TRS with a sometimes lengthy wait time.

Good morning All

Ok I admit I have been watching Sharpe's rifles on Youtube and I would like a Baker rifle.

My research, poor as it is, tells me there are no quality rifled versions of this. Is this correct?

If there are versions of this that are of good quality and are rifled could you please let me know?
Thank you
KC
A while back it was being rumored that Pedersoli was actually working on producing Baker Rifles…I’m sure, but I think it was being set for next year as a release. There’s a thread around here somewhere, that contains the discussion.

Covid has kinda messed things up.

I love the Sharpe’s Series…watched it for the umpteenth time this last summer…

No rumor.
Pedersoli told me themselves they were making a Baker. Originally set for a 2022 release it was pushed back to 2023. They also said they had purchased an original to use in the design process.
Course saying is not always doing so we’ll see. And hopefully not in the $2k+ price range.

No rumor.
Pedersoli told me themselves they were making a Baker. Originally set for a 2022 release it was pushed back to 2023. They also said they had purchased an original to use in the design process.
Course saying is not always doing so we’ll see. And hopefully not in the $2k+ price range.
There it is…I knew he’d show up…

I got mine from Loyalist, India made and semi OK wood. The bore was all over the place, I sent it to Bobby Hoyt and had it sleeved to 54 ca. Bit heavy but shoots nice, also had the trigger worked on, original pull was over 5 lbs, now about three

WGANZ was right, Packrat

I got mine from Loyalist, India made and semi OK wood. The bore was all over the place, I sent it to Bobby Hoyt and had it sleeved to 54 ca. Bit heavy but shoots nice, also had the trigger worked on, original pull was over 5 lbs, now about three

WGANZ was right, Packrat
Could you clarify that highlighted section please? Were there tight/oversize places in the bore or off center or tapered from muzzle to breech or ******? Not that I am doubting it, just don't understand the bore issue(s).

Respectfully,

I am just finishing the assembly of the first of two TRS Baker parts sets I bought. I am in to it 3-weeks. I have experience, I work fast. I work about 3 hours in a block and most days. Maybe 60 hours so far ???

The TRS parts sets consist of a precarve stock, bags of rough castings, and other parts. There is a lot of head scratching. They are not for beginners. Screws excepted, all the parts are unfinished. At this point I would not assemble one on spec. I see a fair price for one made to my standards of quality to be much higher than anyone would pay.

Yes the Baker & Sharpe's episodes seem very popular Good stories all based on a good historical Regiment and doings . Not surprising a following & demand for the Baker Rifles . If Parker Hale had made them when they where producing the Various Enfield's . Seemed logical to me . But Parker Hale got into 'Rule by Accountancy' .& it never Happened & to be fair this was all Pre' Sharpes' /Bernard Cornwell . I once made a Volunteer one & restored a wreck that is my own pre 1806 example ..Re the much derided Indian made ones . Yes there not always that pretty but have filled a great need for UK reenactors at least & being smooth have less licensing required . .My notion is if you got one of the better Bakers from a known supplier & I know non better than Loyalist Arm's you can then in the US at least buy a barrel 62 cal rifled & you have a tollerable Baker Rifle . .What Petersoli will produce ? No idea but expect they are very capable if they want to be . The original pitch of its 30" barrel was just a quarter turn the thinking easier to load under stress but enough to knock down the foe . Not a too disimilar plan of Forsythe's big Indian Game thinking if the rifleing was quite different . .Anyway that's my rambling re Bakers .
Rudyard

Latest posts

Back